Tokina AF 100mm f2.8 AT-X Pro D

Compatible
Nikon, Canon, Sony,
Ideal
Macro
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

subbu

Dec 24, 2020
Been using the Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro lens since 2.5 years. It is the most used lens in my collection.
in my view below are the Pros and Cons;

Pros:
1. Tack Sharp right from f2.8
2. Built like a tank - full metal - will last long
3. Very affordable - almost 1/3rd of Nikkor's macro and at par with image quality
4. Like the push-pull for AF/MF ( An interesting fact is, before i purchased this lens i was bit skeptical about the push-pull mechanism for AF/MF selection, I was thinking a switch on the lens would be ideal but now after using this for few years i know how practical it is to switch from MF/AF without even taking your hands of the focus ring. For my Sigma 180, its even worse I have to switch to AF/MF from the camera body and it takes a split second of your time)

Cons: (Not really but good to have)
1. VR/IS/VC - whatever you call !! - not a deal breaker for me but good to have feature and comes in handy at times
2. Extending Barrel during focus - at times, you end up "literally" touching the subject with front element :)
3. No inbuilt focus motor/Screw drive lns - May be focusing speed could have improved with this option but i am ok since i have a body with motor
4. No weather/dust proofing - I consider this as an important feature since all of my macro shoots are in the field with foggy/dusty environment..

Overall happy with the lens.. can't complain for the price i paid (New lens costed me USD 350, 2.5 years ago)
Note: I am in market to purchase an used Nikkor 200 F4 AF-D lens for the great working distance it offers. Unfortunately not getting this here in India.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Been using the Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro lens since 2.5 years. It is the most used lens in my collection.
in my view below are the Pros and Cons;

Pros:
2. Built like a tank - full metal - will last long
3. Very affordable - almost 1/3rd of Nikkor's macro and at par with image quality
4. Like the push-pull for AF/MF ( An interesting fact is, before i purchased this lens i was bit skeptical about the push-pull mechanism for AF/MF selection, I was thinking a switch on the lens would be ideal but now after using this for few years i know how practical it is to switch from MF/AF without even taking your hands of the focus ring. For my Sigma 180, its even worse I have to switch to AF/MF from the camera body and it takes a split second of your time)

Cons: (Not really but good to have)
1. VR/IS/VC - whatever you call !! - not a deal breaker for me but good to have feature and comes in handy at times
2. Extending Barrel during focus - at times, you end up "literally" touching the subject with front element :)
3. No inbuilt focus motor/Screw drive lns - May be focusing speed could have improved with this option but i am ok since i have a body with motor
4. No weather/dust proofing - I consider this as an important feature since all of my macro shoots are in the field with foggy/dusty environment..

Overall happy with the lens.. can't complain for the price i paid (New lens costed me USD 350, 2.5 years ago)
Note: I am in market to purchase an used Nikkor 200 F4 AF-D lens for the great working distance it offers. Unfortunately not getting this here in India.
That's wrong place, click on here, and you will see leave rating button :)
View attachment 12216

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Reactions: subbu

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
Nice short and efficient presentation!

Tokina is well known from the past for its Macro lenses. One of the most famous Tokina Macro lenses is the Vivitar 90mm f/2.5. Yes you read well. The Vivitar. Also known as Bokina!
The famous Vivitar lens was made by Tokina back then (70's). Tokina was also producing many great macro lenses under its own brand name. And always with the same values which you described.
2. Built like a tank
3. Very affordable

Nice review!

Reactions: subbu