Your opinion? UV fluorescent ink drops - video

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

I have been shooting these types of scenes for a while but I have always felt that a video would best show them. I used a round glass bowl filled with water and using pipettes I drop in fluorescent inks into the bowl while using 2 UV torches to light the ink. All of the light in a UV photo ideally comes from the luminescence material used, these can be organic things (bioluminescent) like many insects, spiders, pollen, some types of chlorophyll,etc or they can be man made things like tonic water, any very white material, some paints or in this video's case fluorescent ink. Regular lighting or flash will actually reduce the glow of the inks.

UV photography and video is tricky due to having what is overall a dark enviroment and very bright, glowing ink which can easily blow out. I am now incorporating exposure blends to get better results.

Editing this video was a good way to try to dust off some old editing skills I havent used for a while. I was also testing slow motion video on my camera and found out it records these modes in 1080p rather than 4k which is a bummer but I only noticed it after I uploaded it to youtube so a bit late to change now, maybe next time I hope to get it on 4k. Hope you enjoy:

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
That's pretty cool. I love how little mushrooms form first, some of them look like umbrella type shrooms and some like Coral shrooms. Thanks for the video, it gives lots of ideas for that "cloud" effect some use when doing drops.

• Grinning Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter