What do you thinking about full manual focus stacking techniques?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hi guys again and again! 😁👌
Maybe this question can be quite different and strange but maybe not for everyone..
So, how we know ,the focus stacking techniques is so lot as only.. and hard to say,which one is best..
But what do you say about full manual focus stacking techniques?
Is here someone,who use full manually focus stacking, by full manuall control to taking pictures?
And what about merging the pictures in Photoshop?
Welcome to very interesting and exciting discussion 👌🙏📸🐜

D

Deleted member 250

Full manual focus stacking in a studio is relatively quite straightforward but full manual HAND HELD manual (not done by camera function) focus stacking takes considerable skill.
I have tried and failed several times.
Merging stacked images in Photoshop is straightforward but not the best (in my opinion)

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hi nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo. It depends what you want to do. You will for sure fail with a manual stack of a very small bug on a leaf because of the needed number of pictures and other factors like the wind and maybe changing exposure situations (because of light and shadow from leafs and / or clouds). A free hand stack supported by a bean bag of a flower with a small number of pictures are for sure possible. I've tried this several times by myself.

The biggest problem of a free hand stack is not a shift to the left or to the right but more back and forth. You'll get artifacts if you don't capture all details of your needed DOF. It's like an onion where you only the second and the forth ring but not the third because of a shift forth or back.

So it's really challenging and needs a lot of practice. Use a bean bag or lay on the ground if you want to try it.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hi guys again! 😁🔥
I say you guys, I tried today again cameras focus stacking, braketing and with full manuall control, and with merging in Photoshop, and I say that with manual control I got best effect,shooting same object.. the auto are great if need to to it fast and learn how it's working like.. but manual is always manual 😁👌, if you have camera with touching screen , good tripod and raily, so it's fine 😁👌
Only need still lot of patience and practice, like everything 🤣🤣🤣

rcorteschile

Renato Cortés
Apr 11, 2020
Hi! I did manual stacking but using a manual micrometric rail in studio. Never tried this technique in the field because it's very difficult to get the proper camera support unless you have a tripod or monopod. Besides, if your camera does not have this feature, it's more complicated to do leaning back and forward with your body, or moving the lens focus ring. I am not saying it's not possible, it's easier to try with still subjects such as small flowers or similar. If you are lucky, you could get a sleepy insect that can let you try.