Begginer What tips would you give to new starters?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That's probably a good topic to talk. Everyone on forum has different skills and are on different level on photography.

What tips you'd give to some new photographers who are trying to get into macro or general photography?

Or imagine there is a time machine where you can go back in time and meet yourself, what advice or tips you'd give to your younger version?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That's probably a good topic to talk. Everyone on forum has different skills and are on different level on photography.

What tips you'd give to some new photographers who are trying to get into macro or general photography?

Or imagine there is a time machine where you can go back in time and meet yourself, what advice or tips you'd give to your younger version?
I would say start on auto mode and look what settings the camera used for the photo you took. Then after a while go to Aperture or Shutter speed priority with auto ISO. Also get used to manual focus from the beginning on. Does not mean that you can't use auto focus but make sure you are familiar with manual focus.

Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

I would say start on auto mode and look what settings the camera used for the photo you took. Then after a while go to Aperture or Shutter speed priority with auto ISO. Also get used to manual focus from the beginning on. Does not mean that you can't use auto focus but make sure you are familiar with manual focus.
Agree with you, this is what I use to do before. Checking settings on previous photo. Regarding focus. I always use auto focus. Of course not much when shooting macro photography as that is different story. But when doing portraits or landscapes, I do use auto focus.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Agree with you, this is what I use to do before. Checking settings on previous photo. Regarding focus. I always use auto focus. Of course not much when shooting macro photography as that is different story. But when doing portraits or landscapes, I do use auto focus.
Yes, for other things then Macro i also use autofocus.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Yes, for other things then Macro i also use autofocus.
I found that sometimes when using auto focus, it doesn't focus on the right spot unless you turn the lens in manual mode and try to make your focus. That's especially when taking images of static subject like jewellery.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I found that sometimes when using auto focus, it doesn't focus on the right spot unless you turn the lens in manual mode and try to make your focus. That's especially when taking images of static subject like jewellery.
I always use the center focus point. No problem with not focusing.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I always use the center focus point. No problem with not focusing.
Are you using the tripod I guess as well? Or just hand-held.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I do have a tripod, but only use it for the occasional photo of the moon. All the other photos are hand held.
Photo of the moon, taken with FZ1000 - ISO100 - 1/100sec - f/8 - 400mm - taken on tripod
P1070621.jpg

• Love

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I do have a tripod, but only use it for the occasional photo of the moon. All the other photos are hand held.
Photo of the moon, taken with FZ1000 - ISO100 - 1/100sec - f/8 - 400mm - taken on tripod
View attachment 17644
Gorgeous photo. I don't own such a telephoto lens, only 70-300, but not sure if I can achieve such results with it.

Reactions: TMG1961

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
I've always been a 'learn by doing' sort of guy, so my advice for someone starting out is pick one subject (a flower, bird, landscape, Moon etc) and take dozens of photos using every combination you can think of and see what outcome you get.

Take a shot on full auto and see what the camera thinks is best.

Go into AV and try different apertures and see how depth of field changes, and if that improves the picture because it makes your subject stand out from the background, or is it better with more DoF and you can see the relationship with what's around it

Tv and different shutter speeds - learn about camera shake but also how blurry wings on a Hoverfly gives a nicer feel than it totally frozen.

Different ISO settings and the impact of noise; it's not always bad, some images look great with a high-key and grainy look from a silly ISO

If you've a flash (external or built in) try with and without, see what a bit of fill can do to a shot even in broad daylight

Finally use different focal lengths, not just for 'what you can fit in the frame' but more how DoF is impacted and also how a telephoto compresses perspective and how that can be good or bad depending on what look you're after
A flower that half fills the frame from 12 inches away with a 24mm and the same flower, same half frame fill with a 300mm from 15 feet away etc

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961