Lens What's the difference between 70-200 f2.8m2 and m2?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss about the lens specified in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I own Canon 70-200 f2.8 L USM II and would like to know the difference between the new version MK3, is worth upgrading?

Andy Smith Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I own Canon 70-200 f2.8 L USM II and would like to know the difference between the new version MK3, is worth upgrading?

Andy Smith Andy Smith
In my opinion it's not worth the upgrade to be honest Jack. You would get a similar lens with a new paint job, no huge advantages for the Mk III really just minor improvements and a whiter paint. Stick with what you have, it's optically just as good to be honest.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Andy Smith Andy Smith
In my opinion it's not worth the upgrade to be honest Jack. You would get a similar lens with a new paint job, no huge advantages for the Mk III really just minor improvements and a whiter paint. Stick with what you have, it's optically just as good to be honest.
I saw a lot of reviews on YouTube, some said that is worth upgrading some said no, I also went to the shop, and yes, is different paint and an other mark there. Have you purchased straight MK3 or you have upgraded?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021

Andy Smith Andy Smith
I bought the Mk III straight, if I had the Mk II though I would not upgrade to be fair unless I went for the RF lens

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Andy Smith Andy Smith
that makes sense. The price is also high of MK3, probably you can get the second hand mk2 and save some cash. When I first bought the mk2 brand new, the guy from the shop said to me that I was lucky to get the last one in stock. Then I would definitely not consider upgrading. Probably they took the old one mk2, did some minor changes and increased the price.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021

Andy Smith Andy Smith
I actually owe you an apology Jack, I double checked my lens and it is indeed the MkII anyway, so I stand by comment about not worth the upgrade.. Hahaha, I am getting old and forgetful I think. :).. I actually remember now when the MK III came out and I looked at it and decided it wasn't offering a substantial better lens optically, so I decided to stick with what I had.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Andy Smith Andy Smith
I thought you got the mk3 :D, I’ve watched some videos on YouTube to see the differences of these 2 lenses, and yes not big improvements from image quality I believe. How often you are using this lens ?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021

Andy Smith Andy Smith
I actually find myself using it almost every day at the moment, am trying to build a collection of nature images here in Thailand so usually I find myself reaching for this lens. I use my 16-35mm for Milky Way images and general landscapes but I like the added reach of the 70-200 when I am just pottering around the garden or fields looking for interesting subjects rather than general landscapes.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Andy Smith Andy Smith
I do agree, I do use it often as well, but sometimes I find difficult to take images because I'm using it on crop camera 7d m2 and that's even extra reach. That's why I'm thinking on getting 24-70 lens. Not sure if that is sharp as 70-200 II