Photography what's your camera shutter count ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
As the title says, what's your camera shutter count ? Do you actually take care of it?

Mine I believe is around 15k in 4 years time. I haven't checked my M50 yet, but shouldn't be more than 10k.

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
I purchased my Nikon D500 with about 32k on the shutter. That was about 2 months ago. I've probably put another 2k on it - not because I'm such and avid shooter, but rather because it shoots at 10 frames per second in continuous mode. And because I'm trying to improve my BIF photography, I am almost always in that mode and a couple of hundred shots per outing is pretty much the norm. (You do throw out a lot!!)

Fortunately that shutter is rated for at least 500k activations I believe, so it'll be a while before I have to worry about it.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I purchased my Nikon D500 with about 32k on the shutter. That was about 2 months ago. I've probably put another 2k on it - not because I'm such and avid shooter, but rather because it shoots at 10 frames per second in continuous mode. And because I'm trying to improve my BIF photography, I am almost always in that mode and a couple of hundred shots per outing is pretty much the norm. (You do throw out a lot!!)

Fortunately that shutter is rated for at least 500k activations I believe, so it'll be a while before I have to worry about it.
500k that's really a lot. I think on my 7d m2 the shutter cycle is around 200k, is still long way untill there. How did you check the shutter count on your camera?

Reactions: Dangerspouse

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021

Just upload a pic to https://www.camerashuttercount.com/ . It reads the EXIF data with the shutter count buried in it, and tells you what that number is.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

do you have to pay? When I was looking to check for my 7d m2, I couldn't find any sites where to check, and used an astronomy software to check. A bit funny.

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
[CQ='Dangerspouse, c: 2801, m: 1960'][/CQ] do you have to pay? When I was looking to check for my 7d m2, I couldn't find any sites where to check, and used an astronomy software to check. A bit funny.
Nope. Totally free. I think there are a couple of sites that offer that service free of charge, and that's the one I used. Give it a shot.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
do you have to pay? When I was looking to check for my 7d m2, I couldn't find any sites where to check, and used an astronomy software to check. A bit funny.
Nope. Totally free. I think there are a couple of sites that offer that service free of charge, and that's the one I used. Give it a shot.
Thanks Dangerspouse Dangerspouse , its support all cameras or just some ?

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
Jack, I'm not an expert on the site specifics. I just use it when I want a shutter count, which I think has been 3 times now. I don't know if it supports every digital camera model ever made, or just some. All you have to do to find out though is upload a picture and see if you get an answer. You have a very common camera model, so I would be very surprised indeed if it is not supported.