Begginer When you think is time for upgrade?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Good topic to discuss here.
What do you think, when is the greatest time to upgrade your camera body or lenses? Do you still keep them until buying new once, or you sell to buy brand new equipment?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I keep my old lenses and camera. If i buy a new one i keep the old ones as backup. At the moment i have a panasonic fz1000 as my backup camera and the sony a6400 as my main camera

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I keep my old lenses and camera. If i buy a new one i keep the old ones as backup. At the moment i have a panasonic fz1000 as my backup camera and the sony a6400 as my main camera
Same here, I think selling the old equipment is not worth it, better to keep them as you never know when you might need them. I learnt the lesson when I sold one of my lenses on ebay for cheap money in mint condition.

Reactions: TMG1961

Nguyen Khuong

Jun 25, 2021
What do you think, when is the greatest time to upgrade your camera body or lenses? Do you still keep them until buying new once, or you sell to buy brand new equipment?
The greatest time to upgrade your camera and lens is
1. you have enough money to afford.
2. the new version of camera or lens has the new functions which meets your request.
3. when the old body/ lens has damages and does not work anymore.

i usuaslly sell the old one after buying the newer version.

Reactions: TMG1961 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The greatest time to upgrade your camera and lens is
1. you have enough money to afford.
2. the new version of camera or lens has the new functions which meets your request.
3. when the old body/ lens has damages and does not work anymore.

i usuaslly sell the old one after buying the newer version.
Do you keep camera or lenses till the end?
I know upgrading the equipment isn't cheap at all. Also because all my equipment i have, I purchased brand new, selling it, is not really an option for me.

Nguyen Khuong

Jun 25, 2021
I know upgrading the equipment isn't cheap at all. Also because all my equipment i have, I purchased brand new, selling it, is not really an option for me.
I do not keep the old body/ lens when buying the new one because:

• You hardly reuse it for a back up. New camera/ lens is hardly not workable.
  • selling the old camera/ lens can compensate an amount of money when buying the new one.

Of course, we have to think it over when making decision to upgrade. I usuallly upgrade after 3-4 years.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I do not keep the old body/ lens when buying the new one because:

• You hardly reuse it for a back up. New camera/ lens is hardly not workable.
  • selling the old camera/ lens can compensate an amount of money when buying the new one.

Of course, we have to think it over when making decision to upgrade. I usuallly upgrade after 3-4 years.
If I would go to sell my equipment, probably will loose a lot of money. All my lenses and cameras are bought brand new. I'm not sure if I would also afford buying the latest camera because they are really expensive, especially RF series. Is overpriced in my opinion.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
I think the time to upgrade is simply when you reach the limitation of what you have.

I started with a Canon 20D and when I felt I needed something with better resolution and was generally 'faster' I moved to a Canon 7D and enjoyed that for a while.
I then got to the point where I felt it wasn't performing in low light as much as I wanted (so Full Frame made sense) and I wanted eve more speed in terms of focus tracking and FPS so I bought the 1Dx.

Lenses - same applies, change when you reach a limitation.
I've been through lots of lenses over the years, but by way of example, I had a 75-300 for a while with the 20D, it was OK but has a lot of Chromatic Aberration and the AF is slow. Next I moved to a 70-200 2.8 which was a huge jump in quality but a drop in focal length which I instantly started to miss
Then the daughter started using that lens with my 7D which I gave her, so I bought a 100-400 and retained quality but gained focal length, although it's not as sharp as the 70-200 and the AF is slower.
Now I've got the big 300mm and the two extenders, giving 300/2.8 420/4 and 600/5.6
The quality is stunning and the AF is almost instant, you just need a bit of planning as you can't instantly zoom to change focal length

I generally don't trade in my gear, I keep it and either use it for spare or give it someone who'll enjoy it.
The 7D is being used by my daughter along with whatever lenses she wants to borrow, and the 20D and kit lens is with a friends 10 year old, who is just starting out on his journey

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I think the time to upgrade is simply when you reach the limitation of what you have.

I started with a Canon 20D and when I felt I needed something with better resolution and was generally 'faster' I moved to a Canon 7D and enjoyed that for a while.
I then got to the point where I felt it wasn't performing in low light as much as I wanted (so Full Frame made sense) and I wanted eve more speed in terms of focus tracking and FPS so I bought the 1Dx.

Lenses - same applies, change when you reach a limitation.
I've been through lots of lenses over the years, but by way of example, I had a 75-300 for a while with the 20D, it was OK but has a lot of Chromatic Aberration and the AF is slow. Next I moved to a 70-200 2.8 which was a huge jump in quality but a drop in focal length which I instantly started to miss
Then the daughter started using that lens with my 7D which I gave her, so I bought a 100-400 and retained quality but gained focal length, although it's not as sharp as the 70-200 and the AF is slower.
Now I've got the big 300mm and the two extenders, giving 300/2.8 420/4 and 600/5.6
The quality is stunning and the AF is almost instant, you just need a bit of planning as you can't instantly zoom to change focal length

I generally don't trade in my gear, I keep it and either use it for spare or give it someone who'll enjoy it.
The 7D is being used by my daughter along with whatever lenses she wants to borrow, and the 20D and kit lens is with a friends 10 year old, who is just starting out on his journey
You made a good point here stubanham stubanham . I still have my 7d m2 , and not sure whenever to upgrade or not. Most likely i will keep it for a while. Regarding lenses, I would never sell any of mine, just because I did purchase them brand new, and selling them for coins, is not an option.

You forgot to add also that depends a lot on your pocket as well :)

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Actually I've only invested in one new camera and a new used lens. I still have my old camera but think about to sell it. But I would never sell my old lenses because I select new lenses not bases on the age of my equipment but on what I need.

That's why I decided to buy a used Sigma 70-200 f/2,8 lens instead of the Canon EF 100mm f/2,8 macro lens or the Laowa 25mm 1:2,5-5 lens. I needed the Sigma lens more than a new macro lens and so I keep my equipment as long as needed but sell it afterwards.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961