which camera to go for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Since the second Sony a6400 is also back to the shop for repairs, it got the same problems as the previous one, i am not sure if i still want an Sony a6400. This is the second camera in just 8 months that has to go back for repairs and the first one never came back and was replaced by the one that is now also back for repairs.

Problem is that all my gear, it is not much, 3 lenses and a speedlite is for Sony cameras. I could sell it or trade it in but then i will be loosing a lot of money. So i have been thinking of staying with Sony but go for a full frame camera. The a7iii is still to expensive even as second hand one and also the a7riii is too expensive, even more then the a7iii.

So i am thinking of going either for the a7ii or the a7rii. The a7ii is used around €700-800, but new it is on sale for €849 , both body only. The a7rii is about €1199 second hand and a new one is around €1799.

That is a big difference between both cameras. So is the a7rii so much better for macro that it justifies the €400 extra for second hand and €950 extra for a new one? Or would you not see the difference between them. Does the larger MP make a big difference?

What would you go for and why?

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
I would go for the A7RII.

the A7II only got the in body camera stabilization (IBIS) and some minor improvements, if any, over the original A7.
the A7RII got the IBIS, a new AF system, far better than the one on the original A7R and better than the one on the A7II. I know AF is mostly useless for macro and that you have a manual macro lens, but it's nice to have it for anything non-macro. it was also the first Sony camera with a back illuminated sensor that improves image noise.

anyway, you should check if your computer can manage those 42MP RAW files. you can download some RAW files from here and fiddle with them.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Finally got a answer to mail email. They contacted the service center and expect to get a answer from them within the next week.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Got a answer from the shop i bought the camera from. They got an answer from the Sony service center. They have been working on the camera since last Monday. Not sure what they are doing but in 4 workdays i build an complete new camera.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I did buy a used Nikon D7100 with a 55-200mm lens as a new backup camera. I received it today and tested out. Was not satisfied with the quality of the photos of the camera+lens. So i went online to the website of the shop from were i bought it and informed that that the purchase is coming back. Got a mail with RMA number. Did put all back into the box and will deliver it tomorrow to mail office. Will get the money back, that is not a problem. Hope they finish the checks/repairs on my a6400 soon so i can get it back or refund or other camera so that i can start shooting photos again. Getting withdrawal symptoms :ROFLMAO:

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Oh man, how frustrating for you!! You have my complete sympathy. I hope you're back and shooting - with ANYTHING! - shortly!
Thanks, i just got back from dropping the camera and lens of at the post office. It should be arriving at the shop Tuesday between 11am and 1pm. Then it takes about a week from then to get my money back.

But i am not going to buy another camera. As far as the Sony a6400 goes, i rather have my money back for that one or have it replaced by another camera than the a6400. Lost all believe in the Sony a6400 series. Had 2 brand new ones in the last 8 months and both the same problems. Out of the 8 months i was without a camera for at least 1.5 months due to repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangerspouse

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I just got of the telephone with the shop i bought the Sony a6400 from. The camera is at the Sony service center and could take another 2-3 weeks before i get it back. Could be sooner but that chance was very slim. They also could not tell me if i could trade it in for another camera because they needed to check it and see what it was worth. Told them it was a 8 weeks old camera that was in repair for the past 2,5 weeks.

So the bad comedy goes on and i face another possible 2-3 weeks of waiting.

• Angry
Reactions: Dangerspouse

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Update on the Sony a6400 repair.

Camera is still not back. Got a call from the shop i bought it from. They wanted some more info. The call started with the words, i do not own a Sony or have any experience with a Sony but.... He tried telling me that the problems could be my fault for having a finger over the evf sensor, holding the camera to close to my body or not having the right setting for the lcd screen. Explained to him that all of this was not the case and that i tried all out. He would forward the information.

Also asked what i would get back if i wanted to trade it in for another camera. He couldn't tell me, needed to wait until the camera was back from the Sony service center. They then would make me an offer. Would then need to see if i accept it and trade the camera in or just get the (repaired) camera back. Wil get a quote on trading it in for either a Sony a7iii or a a7Rii

But he did also mention that it could take another 1-3 weeks before the camera was back, repair time was between 4 and 6 weeks at the moment. Camera is already gone 3 weeks and the Sony service center is working on it since last week Wednesday. So could be October by the time i get it back.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Update on the Sony a6400 repair.

Camera is still not back. Got a call from the shop i bought it from. They wanted some more info. The call started with the words, i do not own a Sony or have any experience with a Sony but.... He tried telling me that the problems could be my fault for having a finger over the evf sensor, holding the camera to close to my body or not having the right setting for the lcd screen. Explained to him that all of this was not the case and that i tried all out. He would forward the information.

Also asked what i would get back if i wanted to trade it in for another camera. He couldn't tell me, needed to wait until the camera was back from the Sony service center. They then would make me an offer. Would then need to see if i accept it and trade the camera in or just get the (repaired) camera back. Wil get a quote on trading it in for either a Sony a7iii or a a7Rii

But he did also mention that it could take another 1-3 weeks before the camera was back, repair time was between 4 and 6 weeks at the moment. Camera is already gone 3 weeks and the Sony service center is working on it since last week Wednesday. So could be October by the time i get it back.

I would say that’s way to long. So the camera is still not repaired ? That’s really disappointing to be honest. Have you tried to get maybe some money for it ?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I would say that’s way to long. So the camera is still not repaired ? That’s really disappointing to be honest. Have you tried to get maybe some money for it ?
The camera is still not repaired. Been in the Sony service center for 3 weeks now. They say that repair times are between 4 and 6 weeks at the moment so the shop is not worried at all about it taking already 3 weeks.

I had a talk with the shop this afternoon and money back is out of the question. If it cannot be repaired i will get a new a6400. If it can be repaired i get it back or i can trade it in for another camera and may have to add some money to it to get that camera.

Once they receive the camera from the Sony service center the shop will send me a quote on how much they will give me for the camera and how much i need to add for a Sony a7ii or a7iii/a7rii. I am going to stick with Sony but not with the a6400.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The camera is still not repaired. Been in the Sony service center for 3 weeks now. They say that repair times are between 4 and 6 weeks at the moment so the shop is not worried at all about it taking already 3 weeks.

I had a talk with the shop this afternoon and money back is out of the question. If it cannot be repaired i will get a new a6400. If it can be repaired i get it back or i can trade it in for another camera and may have to add some money to it to get that camera.

Once they receive the camera from the Sony service center the shop will send me a quote on how much they will give me for the camera and how much i need to add for a Sony a7ii or a7iii/a7rii. I am going to stick with Sony but not with the a6400.
Have you asked why takes so long to repair the camera? Do you have any other repair shops in your town?

Status
Not open for further replies.