which camera to go for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Since the second Sony a6400 is also back to the shop for repairs, it got the same problems as the previous one, i am not sure if i still want an Sony a6400. This is the second camera in just 8 months that has to go back for repairs and the first one never came back and was replaced by the one that is now also back for repairs.

Problem is that all my gear, it is not much, 3 lenses and a speedlite is for Sony cameras. I could sell it or trade it in but then i will be loosing a lot of money. So i have been thinking of staying with Sony but go for a full frame camera. The a7iii is still to expensive even as second hand one and also the a7riii is too expensive, even more then the a7iii.

So i am thinking of going either for the a7ii or the a7rii. The a7ii is used around €700-800, but new it is on sale for €849 , both body only. The a7rii is about €1199 second hand and a new one is around €1799.

That is a big difference between both cameras. So is the a7rii so much better for macro that it justifies the €400 extra for second hand and €950 extra for a new one? Or would you not see the difference between them. Does the larger MP make a big difference?

What would you go for and why?

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
I would go for the A7RII.

the A7II only got the in body camera stabilization (IBIS) and some minor improvements, if any, over the original A7.
the A7RII got the IBIS, a new AF system, far better than the one on the original A7R and better than the one on the A7II. I know AF is mostly useless for macro and that you have a manual macro lens, but it's nice to have it for anything non-macro. it was also the first Sony camera with a back illuminated sensor that improves image noise.

anyway, you should check if your computer can manage those 42MP RAW files. you can download some RAW files from here and fiddle with them.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Have you asked why takes so long to repair the camera? Do you have any other repair shops in your town?
I asked the service center were the camera was send to. They do not give any information because i am not their client. The shop were i bought the camera just says it can take up to a max of 6 weeks and that the camera is being worked on.

I did send the shop i bought the camera from a electronic post message telling them i want my money back. Haven't heard a word from them.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I asked the service center were the camera was send to. They do not give any information because i am not their client. The shop were i bought the camera just says it can take up to a max of 6 weeks and that the camera is being worked on.

I did send the shop i bought the camera from a electronic post message telling them i want my money back. Haven't heard a word from them.

That's ridiculous and poor customer service, you should leave them an appropriate review. Honestly no matter if you are not their client, you still pay money for the service which must be deliver. Looks like you have no choice, just to wait for the camera to be repaired.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That's ridiculous and poor customer service, you should leave them an appropriate review. Honestly no matter if you are not their client, you still pay money for the service which must be deliver. Looks like you have no choice, just to wait for the camera to be repaired.

I just received an email from the company that did the repair. They could not tell me much but said that the camera would be send back to the shop this week. So that is either today, tomorrow or Saturday. No answer on what was wrong or if it actually was repaired or not. I mailed the shop were i bought it and told them i want my money back instead of the camera. As usual no reaction from them. Last time i bought anything from them. I also will give them a review, they won't like it but at the moment i couldn't care less.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I just received an email from the company that did the repair. They could not tell me much but said that the camera would be send back to the shop this week. So that is either today, tomorrow or Saturday. No answer on what was wrong or if it actually was repaired or not. I mailed the shop were i bought it and told them i want my money back instead of the camera. As usual no reaction from them. Last time i bought anything from them. I also will give them a review, they won't like it but at the moment i couldn't care less.
I'm really sorry that you have such of experience with that shop. So far I didn't have a chance to send my cameras in the shop as they are in good condition. From what you have described, you don't have many choices now, apart from waiting for them, which Isn't nice at all. Regarding the review, just leave them a bad review and see what their reaction, maybe this will give them a push to hurry up.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
The repair centre send me another mail and told me that they could not reproduce the problems i had with the camera. According to them the camera is working as it should be. I mailed the shop i bought it from that i want my money back. As usual they just ignored me.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Got a mail from the shop. They are going to give me the complete purchase price back which is €949 but not as a refund. I accepted it and used the money to get the Sony a7ii + Sony 50mm f/1.8 lens. Was exactly €949. Reason is that i didnt want a a6xxx camera again after having 2 problem cameras from that range and decided to stay with Sony because i already got a good macro lens for Sony, the Laowa 100 f/2.8. This morning i bought a backup camera, went back to the Nikon D7200 as backup, still have some Nikon DX lenses.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
The shop wrote me that i needed to send a reaction before 4pm yesterday or it would be Monday before they got to it because the department doesn't work in the weekend. Did send in a reaction with the link to the camera at 3.19pm. So you would thin all is well and i will get the camera today. Well think again. They did not do anything with the mail and left it for Monday. I called the customer support yesterday evening, they confirmed that my mail was received on 3.20pm but that no camera was send to me. I did send them a mail this morning telling them that i am not a very happy person at the moment. Continued on Monday.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
So you will gonna get those money back at the end ?
No, i could get a voucher to spend in their store or get a €949 discount on another camera. I used the discount and got a Sony a7ii with the 50mm f/1.8 lens. My Laowa macro lens is for Sony so can use that on the A7ii

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
No, i could get a voucher to spend in their store or get a €949 discount on another camera. I used the discount and got a Sony a7ii with the 50mm f/1.8 lens. My Laowa macro lens is for Sony so can use that on the A7ii

That’s decent deal, but the very bad experience I guess. That’s good to have 2 backup cameras just in case. To avoid such of situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.