which camera to go for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Since the second Sony a6400 is also back to the shop for repairs, it got the same problems as the previous one, i am not sure if i still want an Sony a6400. This is the second camera in just 8 months that has to go back for repairs and the first one never came back and was replaced by the one that is now also back for repairs.

Problem is that all my gear, it is not much, 3 lenses and a speedlite is for Sony cameras. I could sell it or trade it in but then i will be loosing a lot of money. So i have been thinking of staying with Sony but go for a full frame camera. The a7iii is still to expensive even as second hand one and also the a7riii is too expensive, even more then the a7iii.

So i am thinking of going either for the a7ii or the a7rii. The a7ii is used around €700-800, but new it is on sale for €849 , both body only. The a7rii is about €1199 second hand and a new one is around €1799.

That is a big difference between both cameras. So is the a7rii so much better for macro that it justifies the €400 extra for second hand and €950 extra for a new one? Or would you not see the difference between them. Does the larger MP make a big difference?

What would you go for and why?

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
I would go for the A7RII.

the A7II only got the in body camera stabilization (IBIS) and some minor improvements, if any, over the original A7.
the A7RII got the IBIS, a new AF system, far better than the one on the original A7R and better than the one on the A7II. I know AF is mostly useless for macro and that you have a manual macro lens, but it's nice to have it for anything non-macro. it was also the first Sony camera with a back illuminated sensor that improves image noise.

anyway, you should check if your computer can manage those 42MP RAW files. you can download some RAW files from here and fiddle with them.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That’s decent deal, but the very bad experience I guess. That’s good to have 2 backup cameras just in case. To avoid such of situations.
At the moment i have no camera at all. The sony a6400 is not coming back and the new a7ii is arriving untill next Tuesday at the earliest. The FZ1000 is co pletely dead. I bought a used d7200 as my new backup camera. That should be arriving this afternoon between 4 and 6pm

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
At the moment i have no camera at all. The sony a6400 is not coming back and the new a7ii is arriving untill next Tuesday at the earliest. The FZ1000 is co pletely dead. I bought a used d7200 as my new backup camera. That should be arriving this afternoon between 4 and 6pm

At least now you will get 2 cameras. Have you purchased the d7200 from eBay ?

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
At least now you will get 2 cameras. Have you purchased the d7200 from eBay ?
No i bought it from another Dutch store. I have bought from them before and never had any problems with them. 1 year warranty on it. 4400 clicks and was €549 body only

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Today i tested out the Nikon D7200 i bought. The camera itself looks brand new. Had 4400 clicks on it. But i noticed a lot of spots and a tiny hair when viewing through the viewfinder. Thought it was the lens, cleaned that and it was still there. Then cleaned the viewfinder and still the same result. Spot all over the place and that hair. So looked at the sensor, dirty, did in camera sensor cleaning without a result.

I am not going to bother with cleaning the sensor, first of all i don't have a kit at home, so need to buy one and second the shop should have cleaned the sensor before selling it.

So i asked for a RMA number and put the camera and all that came with it in the same box it was send to me and delivered it to the post office so it can be send back to the shop. Can send items back within 14 days no questions asked, filled in on the form that the item did not match my expectations.

Hope the other shop sends out the a7ii tomorrow so that i will have it on Tuesday. Starting to get serious withdrawal symptoms :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Today i tested out the Nikon D7200 i bought. The camera itself looks brand new. Had 4400 clicks on it. But i noticed a lot of spots and a tiny hair when viewing through the viewfinder. Thought it was the lens, cleaned that and it was still there. Then cleaned the viewfinder and still the same result. Spot all over the place and that hair. So looked at the sensor, dirty, did in camera sensor cleaning without a result.

I am not going to bother with cleaning the sensor, first of all i don't have a kit at home, so need to buy one and second the shop should have cleaned the sensor before selling it.

So i asked for a RMA number and put the camera and all that came with it in the same box it was send to me and delivered it to the post office so it can be send back to the shop. Can send items back within 14 days no questions asked, filled in on the form that the item did not match my expectations.

Hope the other shop sends out the a7ii tomorrow so that i will have it on Tuesday. Starting to get serious withdrawal symptoms :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm having the sensor issue as well due of dirt. However, I tried to clean it, but haven't check it yet if there are still spots visible on the images. Hope you will get your camera on Tuesday.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I'm having the sensor issue as well due of dirt. However, I tried to clean it, but haven't check it yet if there are still spots visible on the images. Hope you will get your camera on Tuesday.
I would have cleaned it myself, but fore that i would need to buy a kit and with a camera i just bought i am not going to buy a cleaning kit the next day after receiving the camera. The shop should have cleaned it, it is not much work and they have the tools needed for it.

I don't have much hope in receiving the replacement camera tomorrow. I think i will be lucky if i receive it at all this week.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I had a talk with the shop and the camera won't be arriving here soon. My response with the link to the new camera i would like sits at the end of the list and they are not going to put it to the top. I just have to wait until the response reaches the top of the list. And that could take about 5 working days at least according to them. Why? Well they say they are very busy at the moment.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I would have cleaned it myself, but fore that i would need to buy a kit and with a camera i just bought i am not going to buy a cleaning kit the next day after receiving the camera. The shop should have cleaned it, it is not much work and they have the tools needed for it.
Definitely agree with it.

I had a talk with the shop and the camera won't be arriving here soon. My response with the link to the new camera i would like sits at the end of the list and they are not going to put it to the top. I just have to wait until the response reaches the top of the list. And that could take about 5 working days at least according to them. Why? Well they say they are very busy at the moment.
This shows how much care take to their customers.

Edit: I will close this thread as we already talk off topic, and we can talk to new one which you have opened.

Reactions: TMG1961
Status
Not open for further replies.