Which extension tubes do you use?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hi together,

I would like to collect some experiences from you about extension tubes.

Which one do you use and what about your experiences with it in terms of quality or accuracy. Are your tubes

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
interesting question, today i use My olympus 60mm 2.8, i stopped using raynox 250 on it but maybe try extension tubes ... Looking forward ^^

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
hallo, salut ;) :D
I've using Mmlite external tubs.. - 10+16mm ..
I bought them from friend to try.. intresting shoots i can do with.. , useful,small - i can have always with me.. But a bit haard to using, need lot if practic :p , and tripods could be useful with too and good lighting ;)
i think, is there diffrends between external tubs and quality of images?

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I saw external tube with AF arround 30€ but I don't know what can be the result of picture with and without tubes

nataliaflejszar&Photo

3 2
Apr 18, 2020
I saw external tube with AF arround 30€ but I don't know what can be the result of picture with and without tubes

with external tubs you can go much closer objects..
but i think pictures quality is better withought..

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
sure, always better without ^^ But i wanna see what is the result , for exemple, you take a picture with your olympus 60 mm without, and another with tube, and share pictures :p

nataliaflejszar&Photo

3 2
Apr 18, 2020
sure, always better without ^^ But i wanna see what is the result , for exemple, you take a picture with your olympus 60 mm without, and another with tube, and share pictures :p

i can find examples :D , with my eye isn't easy do anything today.. :D

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I read a lot of reviews about cheap extension tubes and I'm afraid to buy crap as it seems to be that some suppliers delivers really bad quality. Staring from non working electrical connections to inadequate fitting accuracy.

The image quality cannot becomes worse because of extension tubes as long as the accuracy is ok because an extension tube has no optical elements like lenses.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Have i got a story about extensions tube for you and a warning to others. I dropped my first lens ever due to a faulty extension tube about 2 weeks ago, it was my Sony 90mm macro lens, one of my favourite lens, i was pretty upset and down about it so I havent said much or posted since I am now learning to shoot with a Canon macro lens instead.

My extension tubes were Kenko (Japanese made) which have a good reputation and are not cheap but nonetheless failed. A spring which raises a locking pin failed and when I twisted my camera from landscape to portrait mode my lens released from the extension tube and hit concrete. It did not break ( i managed to put my foot beneath the falling camera) but it needs repairs which I cant do during lockdown.

DSC02217.jpg
Locking pin fail, the spring should force this pin up like this...
DSC02218.jpg

The extension tube were 15 months old.

Moral of the story is check your equipment often, even decent brand stuff fails and could cost you.

• Wow
Reactions: Greg