PC Windows 11

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has opened a topic to talk about computer(s) model(s).

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Alright, if you'd try to do some 5k video editing, you'll probably have big issues. I usually tend to look at laptops with dedicated graphics cards, it does run better when comes to photo and video editing.
The only very short videos i take are with my phone. I would not even know how to edit a video. For photo editing the laptop is ok, takes a little while to fire up lightroom or photoshop but after that it does what i want it to do.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The only very short videos i take are with my phone. I would not even know how to edit a video. For photo editing the laptop is ok, takes a little while to fire up lightroom or photoshop but after that it does what i want it to do.
You need to try to open Adobe Premier Pro for video editing, that will use lot of laptop power.

Is still running slow on my new laptop i7 with 8gb ram and 4gb dedicated graphic card.

Can't see myself opening Adobe Premier on same laptop with new Windows.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
You need to try to open Adobe Premier Pro for video editing, that will use lot of laptop power.

Is still running slow on my new laptop i7 with 8gb ram and 4gb dedicated graphic card.

Can't see myself opening Adobe Premier on same laptop with new Windows.
Have a look if the laptop has a free slot for adding another 8gb or more ram

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Have a look if the laptop has a free slot for adding another 8gb or more ram
That's good advice. Not sure about that. 🤔. I know that you can add extra of everything on a PC, but on a laptop, that's a bit more complicated. Components are smaller, and requires a bit of delication when dismantling an laptop.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That's good advice. Not sure about that. 🤔. I know that you can add extra of everything on a PC, but on a laptop, that's a bit more complicated. Components are smaller, and requires a bit of delication when dismantling an laptop.
You should be able to tell from the specs of the laptop how many slots it has for memory and if all are filled or if there are free ones. It should also tell you how much ram it supports. You can always go to a shop and ask how much they charge for adding extra ram.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You should be able to tell from the specs of the laptop how many slots it has for memory and if all are filled or if there are free ones. It should also tell you how much ram it supports. You can always go to a shop and ask how much they charge for adding extra ram.

I never checked that honestly. Probably because didn't care much. So you saying that is possible to check how much ram can be added?

I would rather do myself instead of paying £££ to someone else 😅

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I never checked that honestly. Probably because didn't care much. So you saying that is possible to check how much ram can be added?

I would rather do myself instead of paying £££ to someone else 😅
You can check with task manager to see how many slots your laptop has and how many are used.

View RAM Slots via Task Manager

• Right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager or simply press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring the Taskbar in the easiest way.
  • Click More details to expand the Task Manager.
  • Click the Performance tab and select Memory on the left-pane menu. Check the number of slots next to the Slot used. If it’s 2 of 2, it means you have 2 RAM slots or if it’s 2 of 4, it means your laptop has 4 RAM slots.

• Love

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You can check with task manager to see how many slots your laptop has and how many are used.

View RAM Slots via Task Manager

• Right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager or simply press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring the Taskbar in the easiest way.
  • Click More details to expand the Task Manager.
  • Click the Performance tab and select Memory on the left-pane menu. Check the number of slots next to the Slot used. If it’s 2 of 2, it means you have 2 RAM slots or if it’s 2 of 4, it means your laptop has 4 RAM slots.

Alright, thanks for the information, I’ll check it out tomorrow. Even if I got some free slots, these must be expensive.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Alright, thanks for the information, I’ll check it out tomorrow. Even if I got some free slots, these must be expensive.
Depends on what you have installed. I checked for mine and another 8GB would cost me around €50
No idea what the price is in the UK.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Depends on what you have installed. I checked for mine and another 8GB would cost me around €50
No idea what the price is in the UK.
Here in UK could be higher due of taxes. But will check first if there’s some slots available.