Want critique Would love some critique and opinions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Sony A7ii, Laowa 100mm 2:1, Profoto b2 w/o diffusion. 1/200, 1000iso, ~f/16

OgSquiddo

Sep 4, 2022
Shot this pill bug in my back garden yesterday morning, feeling pleased with this shot but certainly feel there’s room for improvement. Thanks!

Attachments

• FDF520D9-CDB4-42AD-8B97-36DD002F1B10.jpeg
    FDF520D9-CDB4-42AD-8B97-36DD002F1B10.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 14

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
The colours and background are great, but my eyes are naturally drawn to the right side of the image because it is lighter and part of the red plant is more in focus.
Try to lighten the bug slightly, and maybe use a smaller aperture to get more of the bug in focus. (not sure what aperture you used on this though)
The light and focus needs to be on the main subject to really pull in the viewer.
You could also try to reduce saturation in the background a little bit and a slight vignette may help draw attention to the main subject.

OgSquiddo

Sep 4, 2022
The colours and background are great, but my eyes are naturally drawn to the right side of the image because it is lighter and part of the red plant is more in focus.
Try to lighten the bug slightly, and maybe use a smaller aperture to get more of the bug in focus. (not sure what aperture you used on this though)
The light and focus needs to be on the main subject to really pull in the viewer.
You could also try to reduce saturation in the background a little bit and a slight vignette may help draw attention to the main subject.
Thanks for the input! I totally agree with the plant pulling too much attention!

Reactions: Andy Smith