Your opinion? Australian Redback Spider (Latrodectus hasselti) - A deadly pair

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Sony 90mm FE macro lens, f/13, ISO 320, 1/160 sec, flash, handheld

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi Everyone,

More photos from my Grampians trip, I found what appears to be a redback "couple". I'm not sure if that's a thing as redback male spiders have a high chance of being eaten during mating (something which disturbingly some males help the female achieve) and they are solitary as far as I know. I found the lovely pair near the pool at the resort I was staying at, they were in an empty plant pot. I went back to take picture of them a few times but did not get a good composition, but one does not simply pose a redback spider unless you want a visit to the hospital. Redback spiders are amongst the most dangerous spiders in Australia, the only more dangerous would be the Sydney Funnel Web spider which is much more aggressive and larger. Thanks to antivenom a death has not been recorded from a redback bite since 1957.

I shot these at night, when the spiders were most active in the hope I would get to see one from the top but no luck. Hope you like them nonetheless :)

DSC03822.jpg This was the male (at least i think so, its considerably smaller then the female that can be seen the background) - f/13, ISO 320, 1/160 sec, flash, handheld

DSC03828.jpg
Female redback spider - f/13, ISO 320, 1/160 sec, flash, handheld

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
If this spider was seen in North America. People would scream "Blackwidow!"
the other name for them is the Australian black widow, same family I believe, speaking of family if you look close you can see baby redbacks in my photos, only just noticed myself, i got a full redback family in these shots, how lovely :LOL:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Wow! It looks so dangerous and impressive. The mating ritual of spiders is really strange and the poor guys are just preys at the end of the day.

Are such kind of spider poisonous? Chavezshutter Chavezshutter

Reactions: Greg Shchepanek

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 very poisonous but luckily not an aggressive spider, they live mostly outdoors and avoid humans for the most part, the two scenarios when they are likely to bite is when defending their eggs and young or if cornered in something like a shoe or clothing and an unlucky/careless human puts these items on unknowing the spider is in there. The Sydney funnel web spider is way more dangerous and aggressive but I don't need to worry about those as they live way further north then where I am.