Your opinion? Bee on Sunflower

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Canon EOS 90D

Hans-Trapp

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2024

Hello P Bestflowers

The image is nice. I really like the tone-on-tone colours of the insect and the flower. The square composition works really well. But it's still seriously lacking in sharpness, unfortunately.

Hans-Trapp

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2024
Hello.
No, unfortunately they're not any better.
The same lack of sharpness. What's more, harsh lighting produces unpleasant reflections. There are quite a few images of flies on the forum that will show you what you can achieve.

The grain seems to be contained here, so I imagine you haven't made too big a crop. Given your shutter speed, it's probably not motion blur. I'm still convinced that your photos were taken too close for the capabilities of your lens. Try putting your camera on a tripod and gradually bringing a stationary subject closer. And keep trying. ;)

Apr 28, 2024
I am sorry to say that I gather from your comment that you only take pictures in a studio or pose your subjects. It is impossible to carry a tripod around out in nature and have your subject stay still while you get all set up and move forward or backward. And the only light out there is natural so you take wat you can get.

Hans-Trapp

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2024
I am sorry to say that I gather from your comment that you only take pictures in a studio or pose your subjects. It is impossible to carry a tripod around out in nature and have your subject stay still while you get all set up and move forward or backward. And the only light out there is natural so you take wat you can get.
You're quite assertive! I go out to take macros always with a tripod. As many macro-photographers do. And most of them shot with a flash. Insect stay relatively still when they are eating. And in the morning, when the temperatures are relatively low, they have to warm up before being able to move normally.
Have a look at dedicated videos on Youtube and see how people do superb macros.