Want critique Black-Tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Panasonic DMC-G81
F/5.6 1/250 ISO640
60mm

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
So this was one of my first shots taken with a macro lens. A week before this I found a small hidden pond swarming with damselflies, but didn't have my macro lens yet. So when I got it this pond was the first spot I took it to. As luck had it I stumbled across this young black-tailed skimmer, presumably either shortly after it eclosed from it's pupa or at the perfect time of day, probably both. Anyways, this dragonfly was extremely timid and cooperative and was ok with sitting on my finger and getting shot for about 20 minutes.

As I was just getting used to the macro lens and shooting with the camera in one hand and the dragonfly in the other the picture isn't perfect. I know that some hairs on it's head aren't perfectly sharp but I'm happy enough with this shot to share it. I actually entered it into a photography contest but haven't heard back yet.

Anyways, I would like to hear your critiques and feedback. :)

P1010878.jpg

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Baenki Baenki Nice photo! very sharp on the face and eyes. Was this shot with natural light or flash? About the only thing I can suggest is perhaps a slightly slower shutter speed for a higher DOF or lower ISO. The other reason i recommend higher DOF is to see if you can get better subject to background separation. Overall I think it's a good photo so well done (y)

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Baenki Baenki , from my point of view the photo looks ok, however there are some blur spots around the subject on the wings, and also agree with what Chavezshutter Chavezshutter said, in addition to that, I would say to add a bit more exposure, or using light. Apart from that I like it ;)

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
That's fantastic! Amazing to see that Dragonflies can be such trustingly! We spotted with a very good focus!

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Jack Jack I see what you mean. I'm actually fine with the blurred wings. But I see that the shadows, especially around the head could be a little too dark. I dodged them already in Affinity but probably could have gone a little further.

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
this dragonfly wasn't really scared of humans - as it sat on your finger, that is awesome! nice shot indeed!

Reactions: Baenki