Your opinion? Caterpillars of the Geometrid moth - Looper Cats/Inchworm

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shan

2 2
Apr 12, 2020
There was a strange looking stick all of 25mm sticking out from a leaf at an angle. It resembled /. A little later it was on the floor of the leaf, playing dead. If you blew at it, it would move and it was ramrod straight horizontally. It would also roll if you bent the leaf!!
Today I found it again sticking to the leaf, and it intrigued me. I took some photos and discovered:
a) it was an Inchworm, Looper Cat, Cat of Geometrid moths
b) Looper cats do not have any legs/pseudo legs in the middle part. Only at the head and the last part of the body!
c) Looper cats can play dead very well!!

Photographic details:
Place: Table Top
Light: One external LED light and cobra flash extrernal, handheld
EXIF: f36, 1/320, iso 100
Macro: 90mm Tamron without VC and 68mm extension tube used for extreme macros

looper inchworm geometrid moth cat  -200511-shan-2836.jpg looper inchworm geometrid moth cat extreme macro-200511-shan-2840.jpg looper inchworm geometrid moth cat-200511-shan-2827.jpg

D

Deleted member 310

Hi Shan Shan
Congratulations for the handheld (y) it s not very easy with 68 mm extensions tube

Shan

2 2
Apr 12, 2020
you betcha. It sways like a leaf in the wind. Then i realised that the art of photography is "when to press the shutter" :D

Shan

2 2
Apr 12, 2020
you betcha. It sways like a leaf in the wind. Then i realised that the art of photography is "when to press the shutter" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.