Your opinion? Common Darters in-flight mating

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you, Jack:) they do this a lot, and in this case they were right under me. It's almost a full frame image.

So this photo was a bit of luck. Because looking at it, make me think that you need a telephoto lens to take a photo of them.

Reactions: Desc1234

Desc1234

Jan 6, 2021
So this photo was a bit of luck. Because looking at it, make me think that you need a telephoto lens to take a photo of them.
Thank you, Jack :) Not entirely luck, though - I sometimes have days when I decide to spend, say, two or three hours on flight images only. I use a 100mm macro for all my flight pictures and usually wait until the frame is reasonably full before refocusing and shooting, although a sharp flight image is always a bit of a crapshoot.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you, Jack :) Not entirely luck, though - I sometimes have days when I decide to spend, say, two or three hours on flight images only. I use a 100mm macro for all my flight pictures and usually wait until the frame is reasonably full before refocusing and shooting, although a sharp flight image is always a bit of a crapshoot.

What lens are you using, Canon 100mm L ?

Desc1234

Jan 6, 2021
Have you tried to use raynox on it ? For extra reach to the subject
I've never tried Raynox. I'd like to get into extreme macro and am looking at options. Laowa 25mm seems interesting. The problem is I don't know how it would work with the Canon twinlite 26 I'm planning to get. The Canon MPE65 costs 1200 EUR, and I've heard varying reports about it (bulky, heavy etc.). I need something that'll work with that flash.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I've never tried Raynox. I'd like to get into extreme macro and am looking at options. Laowa 25mm seems interesting. The problem is I don't know how it would work with the Canon twinlite 26 I'm planning to get. The Canon MPE65 costs 1200 EUR, and I've heard varying reports about it (bulky, heavy etc.). I need something that'll work with that flash.
You might find this showcase useful

LAOWA 25mm f/2,8 Ultra Macro 2,5-5x

I would love too, but laowa lenses are expensive and also lack of automatic focus it's huge minus for me.