Your opinion? Dew Drop

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Canon 20D, EF 100mm macro lens. ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/6000s

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy , not bad in my opinion, there are good bokeh effect however, is a lot of noise present on your photo to be honest. I'm not sure what could cause the noise as you have set 100. Maybe during the post processing ?

Reactions: CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy, I like the photo, the DOF is shallow but works ok in this shot. Sharpness is pretty good too but I have to ask, your shutter speed was 1/6000? That seems very high for what looks to be a static scene, I own a canon 30d i started on and still shoot,I recommend dropping your speed and exposing to the right(ETTR) when you shoot, that way you dont get noise hiding in your shadows, you can drop the exposure down in post if you want to achieve a darker look but you will have lower noise level. Trade in some of that shutterspeed for lower noise. Shutterspeeds of 1/6000 are used to freeze the wings of a hummingbirds in mid flight which are some of the fastest moving objects you can photograph.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy, I like the photo, the DOF is shallow but works ok in this shot. Sharpness is pretty good too but I have to ask, your shutter speed was 1/6000? That seems very high for what looks to be a static scene, I own a canon 30d i started on and still shoot,I recommend dropping your speed and exposing to the right(ETTR) when you shoot, that way you dont get noise hiding in your shadows, you can drop the exposure down in post if you want to achieve a darker look but you will have lower noise level. Trade in some of that shutterspeed for lower noise. Shutterspeeds of 1/6000 are used to freeze the wings of a hummingbirds in mid flight which are some of the fastest moving objects you can photograph.
I didn't paid attention on shutter speed, but yes, is very high for water droplet photo. You use such of high speed to freeze an action, like sport or birding.

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Hello CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy , not bad in my opinion, there are good bokeh effect however, is a lot of noise present on your photo to be honest. I'm not sure what could cause the noise as you have set 100. Maybe during the post processing ?
Yes Jack Jack, I agree on the noise part. Image was cropped while post processing. I guess whenever I adjust for brightness and contrast, the noise element shows up even if it's ISO 100. I noticed that too. May be I am pushing the contrast and brightness dial too much. I have had the same feedback for my other posts too.

Reactions: Jack

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Thanks Chavezshutter Chavezshutter for that technique. I actually took this shot in the AV mode, so the shutter speed was auto picked by the camera I guess. I usually take macro shots in the AV mode and not the Tv mode. I know of what you are saying about fast shutter speed, but the light on that day was quite bright (you can actually see the sun reflecting out of the water drop), so I guess the camera decided the shutter speed on its own. I will play with the exposure settings that you have suggested. The only post processing I do for most of my photos is to do with brightness and contrast and to an extent some color correction + sharpness. I need to play around with more post processing techniques. Thanks

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Yes Jack Jack, I agree on the noise part. Image was cropped while post processing. I guess whenever I adjust for brightness and contrast, the noise element shows up even if it's ISO 100. I noticed that too. May be I am pushing the contrast and brightness dial too much. I have had the same feedback for my other posts too.
There is a option in Lightroom where you can adjust noise. However, for proper post processing of removing noise, i would recommend Topaz softwares. They seems to be good.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks Chavezshutter Chavezshutter for that technique. I actually took this shot in the AV mode, so the shutter speed was auto picked by the camera I guess. I usually take macro shots in the AV mode and not the Tv mode. I know of what you are saying about fast shutter speed, but the light on that day was quite bright (you can actually see the sun reflecting out of the water drop), so I guess the camera decided the shutter speed on its own. I will play with the exposure settings that you have suggested. The only post processing I do for most of my photos is to do with brightness and contrast and to an extent some color correction + sharpness. I need to play around with more post processing techniques. Thanks
I believe that's the reason why you habe noise, try to set your camera on Manual, having good balance between iso and shutter speed might make the noise less visible.

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
There is a option in Lightroom where you can adjust noise. However, for proper post processing of removing noise, i would recommend Topaz softwares. They seems to be good.
Sure Jack Jack. I will explore Topaz and Lightroom. I currently do all the edits in Picasa which I guess is good for normal edits but not for professional edits.

Reactions: Jack