Your opinion? Disco Cactus - Peruvian Apple Cactus (Cereus repandus) UV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Laowa 100mm x2 macro lens, ISO 400, f/11, 10 second, tripod, no flash, UV flashlight

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

I've been playing a bit with some UV photography. I have a large collection of cacti around my house and while exploring my plants and cacti at night using my torch that I found one particular cactus which naturally had an array of amazing colours under UV. [HASH=3021]#discocactus[/HASH] [HASH=3022]#UVphotography[/HASH] [HASH=3023]#nightmacro[/HASH]

DSC09569.jpg
This rather ordinary looking cactus turns into quite the party animal at night under UV...

DSC09577.jpg

I would love to photo this cactus' flower under UV, but as is the case with many cactii, a flower might be a long time waiting.

Last edited:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Ohhh wow! That's so different! Really not comparable! Like something from outer space! I wanted to test it on mushrooms but wasn't able so far.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 You gotta try it out, im drowning in UV shoot ideas, one of the more impressive thing I've found so far is natural pollen under UV, it literally glows like stars or fairy dust and almost looks like a photoshop effect. I am still evolving a way to present this in a photo. Maybe mushrooms spores are similar. Good UV torches will not have much visible light, visible light reduces the fluorescense so keep away from the ultra cheap ones that spit out too much visible light. Cant wait to see some of your mushroom shots in UV, they are going to be out of this world :giggle: