Your opinion? Evergreen Bagworm Larvae

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
These are images of the Bagworm Moth Larvae which makes the cocoons as a larvae, decorating them from bits of the tree it feeds on. I have these hanging in my fern trees at home, but not so many that I would call them pests but it is unusual to see them crawling around during the daytime, as they normally feed at night.
The cases can be up to 6cm in length and when disturbed the larvae retracts inside and holds the end close with its jaws.
When eggs hatch, the larvae emerge from the carcass of their mother in her case. Newborn larva emerge from the bottom of the hanging case and drop down on a strand of silk. The wind often blows the larva to nearby plants where they make a new case from silk and fecal material before beginning to add leaves and twigs from the host tree. Adult males transform into moths in four weeks to seek out females for mating. The female never leaves the cocoon, requiring that the male mate with her through the open end at the back of the case. She has no eyes, legs, wings, antennae, and can't eat, but she emits a strong pheromone to attract a mate. [Wikipedia]
I am a little off with focus on a couple of shots, but it was windy, the larvae was moving quite quickly around an old terra-cotta pot I have in the garden and I had no flash with me at the time but I am happy with these images. All single images, handheld again whilst pottering round the garden.
Canon R5, Canon RF 100mm F2.8 Macro, f/10.0, 1/100th, ISO 2000 - Processed in ON1 NoNoise and Photoshop.
Hope you enjoy them folks. Bagworm_002_2048.jpg

Attachments

• Bagworm_001_2048.jpg
    Bagworm_001_2048.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Bagworm_003_2048.jpg
    Bagworm_003_2048.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Bagworm_004_2048.jpg
    Bagworm_004_2048.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 8

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Nice shots and very informational. We have a very similar species here as well (Saunder's case moth) and I have been looking for the moth that goes with it as its very unusual looking but no luck so far. I remember a long while ago before I knew about them I once saw the larvae outside of the casing and since I had no idea what it was I didn't want to touch it, but I did use a small twig to try to move it and the larvae grabbed it and pulled it out of my hand with so much force that I was very impressed, very powerful tiny thingšŸ˜‚ , I guessed it was a beetle larvae at the time from its strength but since then I've learnt a little about them. Anyways your shots are great, sharp, nice light, well done šŸ‘

Reactions: Andy Smith