Extension tube with wide angle lens.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

EBmedia

May 2, 2020
Hi everyone, last time i like wide angle macro work, and trying to get in to that world, just don't want to spend money to buy new wide angle macro lens for example (Laowa 15mm), but i have Nikon 16-35mm lens and thinking to adding extension tubes to get better magnification and close focus distance. So dose anyone has some experience with this set up, just interested will this work ?

Reactions: Karl and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi EBmedia EBmedia , Unfortunately I have never tried Extension technique, as I own a macro lens. But if I’m not wrong, you probably could adapt an extension tube to your current lens. But this is only my thoughts. There are other professional on site who hopefully will be happy to give you a better advice and help.

Reactions: Karl and EBmedia

EBmedia

May 2, 2020
Hi EBmedia EBmedia , Unfortunately I have never tried Extension technique, as I own a macro lens. But if I’m not wrong, you probably could adapt an extension tube to your current lens. But this is only my thoughts. There are other professional on site who hopefully will be happy to give you a better advice and help.
I also have 105 macro, and never used extension tubes, but really like some macro work when included some surroundings in the shot, and this is not achievable with long focal lengths, just trying figure out is there way to use my wide angle lens, and one idea was extension tubes. Hope some one can answer ?

Reactions: Karl and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I also have 105 macro, and never used extension tubes, but really like some macro work when included some surroundings in the shot, and this is not achievable with long focal lengths, just trying figure out is there way to use my wide angle lens, and one idea was extension tubes. Hope some one can answer ?

If I’m not wrong @Bill Edwards , Helix_2648 Helix_2648 or rcorteschile rcorteschile could give you a better answer here. That’s far as I know EBmedia EBmedia

Reactions: Karl and EBmedia
D

Deleted member 250

Hi everyone, last time i like wide angle macro work, and trying to get in to that world, just don't want to spend money to buy new wide angle macro lens for example (Laowa 15mm), but i have Nikon 16-35mm lens and thinking to adding extension tubes to get better magnification and close focus distance. So dose anyone has some experience with this set up, just interested will this work ?
I have just tried my 18-70 (set to 35mm) with tubes and could not get it to focus.
I used a cheap s/h 50mm1.8 lens with tubes for a few years with success if that helps.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I've read some articles but I'm still not sure if this can work.

Your above mentioned lens 16-35mm from Nikon (AF-S NIKKOR 16-35 mm 1:4G ED VR ) has a magnification power of 1:4. This means that a bee of 2cm would have a size of 5mm on the sensor at the minimum focus of 29cm.

To reduce the minimum focus you can use such extension tubes which allows you to come closer to the subject and get a higher magnification. But to get 1:1 magnification (2cm bee = 2cm on your sensor) you would really need a long extension tube and have to come so close to the subject, that I'm not sure if you can handle this anymore. I've also read an article that an extension tube length above the focal length won't work. But I'm not sure about that.

So at the end I don't think, that you can really use your 35mm lens as a real macro lens. And even if it would work you would reduce the DOF in such a wa, that the background becomes much more blurry than before which means that you'll lost your desired effect.

But again... I'm not really sure if everything is correct what I've written and I've understood everything correctly.

Grundlagen_Zwischenringe.png
(Copyright by Vsion-Doctor.com)

Here an additional picture which shows the physical effect of an extension tube.

Regards,
Jörg

Status
Not open for further replies.