Want critique Head of a jewel beetle (Perotis lugubris).

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Mandarax

Nov 9, 2020
Head of a jewel beetle (Perotis lugubris). The insect was alive, it moved the mandibles while I have taken the photo stacking. But I liked this. I have using a mini-studio with the camera connected to the computer and I use Smart Shooter to take automatic stack pictures. Canon EOS 7D with Canon 100 mm f 2.8 USM (non L).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 13.38.53.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 13.38.53.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 5

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Very close, great shot ! How did you stack a insect alive ?

Mandarax

Nov 9, 2020
Some beetles are very docile. At least, keep them in the dark for one day (a cardboard box is good, to allow breathing) then prepare everything (camera on the stand and the lights) then make a mini environment for the insect (leaves background and a tiny branch). Put the insect on the support and take the pictures as fast as possible, how ever the insect is still dormant. Sometimes success, sometimes failure. Not works with all insects.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Some beetles are very docile. At least, keep them in the dark for one day (a cardboard box is good, to allow breathing) then prepare everything (camera on the stand and the lights) then make a mini environment for the insect (leaves background and a tiny branch). Put the insect on the support and take the pictures as fast as possible, how ever the insect is still dormant. Sometimes success, sometimes failure. Not works with all insects.
Great tip! Good to know. I never have heared about this. Does it help to put the box in the fridge for one night?

Mandarax

Nov 9, 2020
It may be a solution, for some species. Not for all. Agrilus biguttatus dies in fridge. Other species of Agrilus get all vitality back in 20 seconds. No time for preparation. In no time, they started to move antennae, legs, then started to fly. Hint! If you want to photograph easy flying species, always keep the window closed. They will try to fly to the window.