Your opinion? Inverse Reflections

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Canon 20D, EF 100mm macro lens. ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/1000s, natural light, hand held.

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
_MG_2153.jpg _MG_2141.jpg
Both images had to be cropped to get the reflections visible. The noise for ISO 100 in these images can be seen because of this. I think I could have tried with a better aperture value considering I still had the scope of a higher shutter speed with the natural light available. Should I have used a flash and diffuser as well for this?

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy, those are pretty good, I agree with you regarding aparture, for a single shot like these I would have narrowed the f/stop. As for flash, the rules change for a refraction shot, if you direct the flash straight at the drop the light around the drop will improve and the drop itself will become sharp but the image inside the drop (the refraction) will become faded and harder to see. Ideally the majority of the flash light should be on whatever the refraction is with only a little of the outer edge of the light skimming the droplet. However in your case your refraction is a large open scene so its not possible to light it all up with a flash. Tripod and longer shutterspeeds are your best options here. Let me know if you have any questions :) .

Reactions: CA Madhu Ramaswamy

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Hi CA Madhu Ramaswamy CA Madhu Ramaswamy, those are pretty good, I agree with you regarding aparture, for a single shot like these I would have narrowed the f/stop. As for flash, the rules change for a refraction shot, if you direct the flash straight at the drop the light around the drop will improve and the drop itself will become sharp but the image inside the drop (the refraction) will become faded and harder to see. Ideally the majority of the flash light should be on whatever the refraction is with only a little of the outer edge of the light skimming the droplet. However in your case your refraction is a large open scene so its not possible to light it all up with a flash. Tripod and longer shutterspeeds are your best options here. Let me know if you have any questions :) .
Great advice. I will give it a try using this method/approach. Will soon come back to you with output.