Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Your opinion? 

Ladybug stack 40 shots

Hello👋🏻
This is a 40 shot stack at f/5.6 1/50s ISO200
Taken with the Olympus OM-D E-M1X and M.Zuiko 60mm 2.8 macro lens.
How did my workflow looked like?
Well, after i take my pictures, I use Helicon Focus to stack the images, I stack them twice. Once in the B method and once in the C method, then I stack those 2 together...
When that is done, i import that photo into Photoshop to clean it up and remove any so called "ghosting" due to the stacking software.
I remove unwanted artifacts from the image using the healing tool.
After this procces i import the image to Lightroom, where i do my cropping, sharpening, color and light adjustments... I slap my watermark on the image and adjust the size and resolution if I post it on socials so their scaling software doesn't mess with my image too much...
I am just getting started with focus stacking and I know I still have many improvements to make.

Let me know what you think about both my workflow and final result.
Thank you for listening😊
Kind regards, Randy
2024-03-12 40bcb ladybug1-Edit PS.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
hi again R.Eycken.Photography R.Eycken.Photography .

I love the colours and the details, have you tried to stack the images on Photoshop, I believe it does have that function. The only thing I don't like, is that the photo is cropped, like square shape. But this is my personal preferences.

Mar 17, 2024
hi again R.Eycken.Photography R.Eycken.Photography .

I love the colours and the details, have you tried to stack the images on Photoshop, I believe it does have that function. The only thing I don't like, is that the photo is cropped, like square shape. But this is my personal preferences.
Hi Jack!
Yes, I did try stacking in Photoshop but it often gave me mixed results, sometimes it's great... Other times is simply messes up and fixing them manually is simply too time consuming without consistent succes... Photoshop has been known to struggle with bigger stacks too.
Helicon Focus is dedicated stacking software with a very user friendly interface, I don't know if you have ever used it?

The square crop is due to the fact that I just recently took my photography outside of instagram, all my "throwback" pictures will be square shaped unfortunately... On top of that I just cleaned up my lightroom library... And to be honest I don't feel like re-editing +2000 photos🤣
I will save my future content in the original ratio too... So it look better on here👍🏻😊

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Helicon Focus is dedicated stacking software with a very user friendly interface, I don't know if you have ever used it?
Yes I've heard about it, but never used it :D

The square crop is due to the fact that I just recently took my photography outside of instagram, all my "throwback" pictures will be square shaped unfortunately... On top of that I just cleaned up my lightroom library... And to be honest I don't feel like re-editing +2000 photos🤣
I will save my future content in the original ratio too... So it look better on here👍🏻😊

Looks like you have huge library of images, are you doing only macro photography? :)

Mar 17, 2024
Yes I've heard about it, but never used it :D

Looks like you have huge library of images, are you doing only macro photography? :)
It cost a bit to buy but it's a one time purchase, if one is planning do to a lot of stacking, it's the go to software. It even offers a "remote app" so I can connect my phone to my older DSLR's do the focus bracketing (this is a slow process though, pretty useless for bugs but works for anything that remains absolutely frozen for longer time)

Do I do only macrophotography?
For fun? Yes! Macro and wildlife photography, I still need to get a appropriate lens for wildlife though...
But I do pretty much any kind of photography if I am asked to do so... Hence the wedding photography I mentioned earlier...

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Do I do only macrophotography?
For fun? Yes! Macro and wildlife photography, I still need to get a appropriate lens for wildlife though...
But I do pretty much any kind of photography if I am asked to do so... Hence the wedding photography I mentioned earlier...

And how long you've been doing macro photography? Wildlife is new lens investment, I have some lenses too, but for wildlife don't have a proper one. To be honest, looking to upgrade my camera to a mirrorless one. Maybe R6 M2.

Is photography your full time job?

Mar 17, 2024
And how long you've been doing macro photography? Wildlife is new lens investment, I have some lenses too, but for wildlife don't have a proper one. To be honest, looking to upgrade my camera to a mirrorless one. Maybe R6 M2.

Is photography your full time job?
I am starting my 3th year of macrophotography😉
Exactly! Good macro lenses can be expensive but the ones for wildlife are worse, way worse!😂😂

Photography is not my full time job, I work at the port of Antwerp, in logistics... I operate a container stacker like you see in the picture below...

I do plan on starting some workshops for beginners in macrophotography, making large prints of my better shots and of course I take on any assignment I can get, to bring in some extra funds...
If at some point I get enough work to start doing it full time, I probably will go professional...
But that's not the case just yet😄
Screenshot_20240317_201108_Gallery.jpg

• Love

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I am starting my 3th year of macrophotography😉
Exactly! Good macro lenses can be expensive but the ones for wildlife are worse, way worse!😂😂

Photography is not my full time job, I work at the port of Antwerp, in logistics... I operate a container stacker like you see in the picture below...

I do plan on starting some workshops for beginners in macrophotography, making large prints of my better shots and of course I take on any assignment I can get, to bring in some extra funds...
If at some point I get enough work to start doing it full time, I probably will go professional...
But that's not the case just yet😄
View attachment 26721

We are in similar position. I'm working on building site operating similar machines as in your photo. 😂.

I have a macro lens too, but haven't used it as much as I wanted to be honest. Just not enough time to go out and use all The gear.