Want critique Longhorn Beetle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
the Longhorn Beetle {Cerambycidae}, aka Longhorn aka Longicorns are a large family of beetles with over 26,000 species described, and slightly more than half is from the Eastern Hemisphere

most species are characterized by extremely long antennae which are often as long as or longer than the beetle's body but n various members of the family, however, the antennae are quite short

he scientific name of this beetle family goes back to a figure from Greek mythology: after an argument with nymphs, the shepherd Cerambus was transformed into a large beetle with horns

Other than the antennal length, the most consistently distinctive feature of the family is that the antennal sockets are located on low tubercles on the face; other beetles with long antennae lack these tubercles, and cerambycids with short antennae still possess them

f/16 ~ 1/125 sec ~ ISO 200 ~spot metering

Attachments

• Longhorn Beetle.jpg
    Longhorn Beetle.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 4
  • Italian Face
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Well shooted ChanPaul ChanPaul , and thanks for the description, that's really handy and useful.

Regarding photo, I see is very sharp, however the subject anthen from right top side is out of focus on this photo, but I can the the insect is very well in focus. Maybe trying to use a diffuser, or doing a stack of image. S

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
Well shooted ChanPaul ChanPaul , and thanks for the description, that's really handy and useful.

Regarding photo, I see is very sharp, however the subject anthen from right top side is out of focus on this photo, but I can the the insect is very well in focus. Maybe trying to use a diffuser, or doing a stack of image. S
Jack, appreciate your comments but i have no idea how to do stacking of phots

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The focus is, where it should be and the insects looks very well frames.
But there are some hard color shifts visible which looks a bit distracting to me.

1613494126731.jpg

Looks like a 8bit color mode. If so try to change it to 16bit or add some noise (just a bit) with Photoshop to reduce those hard color shifts by adding grain.

Have fun,
Jörg

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
But there are some hard color shifts visible which looks a bit distracting to me.

View attachment 11391

Looks like a 8bit color mode. If so try to change it to 16bit or add some noise (just a bit) with Photoshop to reduce those hard color shifts by adding grain.

Have fun,
Jörg
thanks for the tip Jorg but i'm not computer or PS savy so gotta google how to do first

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

View attachment 11391

Have fun,
Jörg
thanks for the tip Jorg but i'm not computer or PS savy so gotta google how to do first
I think we did have some tutorials available, you might check Resources page, thanks for Helix_2648 Helix_2648

Reactions: ChanPaul