Photography Most common issues with camera lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
A good topic to talk about camera lenses. What's the most common issues you had with your lenses, and what to do to prevent them. Especially with expensive lenses.

So far, I don't have any issues, but would like them to run as long as possible.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
The only issue I really have is getting screw on filters or step up rings stuck on the lens, and unable to remove. I have found that if I press it firmly onto an old flip flop though they unscrew quite easily. :)

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The only issue I really have is getting screw on filters or step up rings stuck on the lens, and unable to remove. I have found that if I press it firmly onto an old flip flop though they unscrew quite easily. :)
I'm having an UV filter as well, and so far didn't had any issues when screwing that on and off. I also try no to do it very hard, to avoid any damages.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I'm having an UV filter as well, and so far didn't had any issues when screwing that on and off. I also try no to do it very hard, to avoid any damages.
The main one I have issues with is the step up/down ring for my twin flash system.. that seems to get stuck every time no matter what I do. It is usually on the Laowa lens though so it may be very slightly different screw threads. but as I mentioned earlier, the old flip flop does the trick.. :)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The main one I have issues with is the step up/down ring for my twin flash system.. that seems to get stuck every time no matter what I do. It is usually on the Laowa lens though so it may be very slightly different screw threads. but as I mentioned earlier, the old flip flop does the trick.. :)
Probably because of Laowa lens. Have you any other issues with lenses? I've read online, that some lenses has focus issues after a while.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Probably because of Laowa lens. Have you any other issues with lenses? I've read online, that some lenses has focus issues after a while.
Never had a problem with Canon lenses, I know some other manufacturers lenses do not quite focus to infinity when aligned manually on the infinity stop marks on the lens, but my Canon lenses are bang on every time even after 10 years of abuse.. which is great for night time and Milky Way images as there is no messing around with trying to focus on stars before getting the shots in.
I would buy Canon glass every time to be honest and have just ordered the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro to replace the Laowa 100mm Macro I have been using for the past year.

• Love

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Never had a problem with Canon lenses, I know some other manufacturers lenses do not quite focus to infinity when aligned manually on the infinity stop marks on the lens, but my Canon lenses are bang on every time even after 10 years of abuse.. which is great for night time and Milky Way images as there is no messing around with trying to focus on stars before getting the shots in.
I would buy Canon glass every time to be honest and have just ordered the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro to replace the Laowa 100mm Macro I have been using for the past year.
Ca RF 100mm that's expensive. I mean, whole RF lenses are very expensive, cost a fortune. I won't be able to afford to upgrade. Have you got it yet?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I have it on order and just waiting now... the local Canon shop in Bangkok says it may be another 1 or 2 months before they have stock. I thought the price was ok, I am paying around 800 pound give or take depending on the exchange rate.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
only £800 ? Second hand or brand new ?