Locations My Road Rig

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This topic is open to discuss the best locations for (macro) photography or recommended locations based on member's geographical place.

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
I survey our power grids for a living. This includes photogrammetry coverage as well as LiDAR. It's a great job, I enjoy doing it and it affords me the opportunity to travel the country. I get to see sights I would never think to visit on my own accord, meet great people and photograph electric poles. Ok, last part isn't to exciting but the rig I use is - 8 Nikon D-850's each with Zeiss 25mm 2.8 Distagon lenses. The rig provides 360 degree coverage of the environment traversed. On a typical day I collect 1 to 2 terabytes of photographic images. Currently upgrading the system to 10 Nikon Z-7's with Zeiss 25mm lenses. Should be hitting the road later in the week.
RIG-Close-up.jpg

IMG-1588.JPG

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Wow, that’s serious equipment. So what basically you are taking pictures of?

You can showcase equipment here if you’d like:

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
Wow, that’s serious equipment. So what basically you are taking pictures of?

You can showcase equipment here if you’d like:

I survey the power lines and poles for electric providers. They need to see the condition of the poles and measure the sag in the wires to schedule maintenance.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I survey the power lines and poles for electric providers. They need to see the condition of the poles and measure the sag in the wires to schedule maintenance.

That's must an interesting job. Quick question, these lenses attached to the camera, are they covered in foil? Or other type of material. Or are they some special lenses for the job.

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
That's must an interesting job. Quick question, these lenses attached to the camera, are they covered in foil? Or other type of material. Or are they some special lenses for the job.
Hi Jack - It's foil tape, it's used to lock the focus ring in place. These are manual focus lens and if we don't tape them in place the focus rings move when you drive over bumps...

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Jack - It's foil tape, it's used to lock the focus ring in place. These are manual focus lens and if we don't tape them in place the focus rings move when you drive over bumps...

Alright, now I got you. But then you still have to change the focus ?

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
Alright, now I got you. But then you still have to change the focus ?
Nah, just set focus to infinity that takes care of everything from a meter out. We don't drive that close to the infrastructure ;-)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
So everything is set to the standard. How you are taking images? remote control?

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
Basically yes, aperture, and shutter speed are defined and we roll with auto ISO to adjust for variances in illumination. Have to manually set aperture for Depth of Field and keep shutter speed constant to account for the speed of the truck....