Noise on the pictures?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. What are the factors which can reproduce noise on the pictures, and how we can fix or improve this?

Reactions: Karl
D

Deleted member 250

Jack Jack I believe that the two main factors are high iso and under exposure, so getting your exposure correct (check your histogram) and shooting at the lowest iso you can get away with go a long way in reducing noise to a minimum.

Excess/unwanted noise needs to be tackled in post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack I believe that the two main factors are high iso and under exposure, so getting your exposure correct (check your histogram) and shooting at the lowest iso you can get away with go a long way in reducing noise to a minimum.

Excess/unwanted noise needs to be tackled in post.

I never do check histogram, does this needs to be checked too ? please note I shoot manual mode.

Reactions: Deleted member 250
D

Deleted member 250

Jack Jack It`s a good idea to check from time to time and for important images to be sure that the exposure is ok.
If you under expose and then pull the shadows up in post, you are introducing noise.
The image on the back of the camera can be misleading.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack It`s a good idea to check from time to time and for important images to be sure that the exposure is ok.
If you under expose and then pull the shadows up in post, you are introducing noise.
The image on the back of the camera can be misleading.

Is this histogram Is more for dsrl Cameras ? Thanks a lot, because I did some shooting, and I had 100 iso shutter speed high because of bright outside and f2.8 with canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L M2 , and when upload to my laptop and exported through the LR, I noticed some images with noise, and started to think maybe there could be something wrong with my lens.

D

Deleted member 250

Is this histogram Is more for dsrl Cameras ? Thanks a lot, because I did some shooting, and I had 100 iso shutter speed high because of bright outside and f2.8 with canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L M2 , and when upload to my laptop and exported through the LR, I noticed some images with noise, and started to think maybe there could be something wrong with my lens.
Jack Jack I believe that the histogram is a feature available on all digital cameras and I find it invaluable to check my exposure (I usually shoot in aperture priority).
One quick and dirty thing to try, open the raw image in lightroom and in the develop module in the basic tab hit "auto". Lightroom will try to move the black and white points to give a balanced exposure then look at the exposure compensation lightroom has applied. It`s as I say a quick and dirty test.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack I believe that the histogram is a feature available on all digital cameras and I find it invaluable to check my exposure (I usually shoot in aperture priority).
One quick and dirty thing to try, open the raw image in lightroom and in the develop module in the basic tab hit "auto". Lightroom will try to move the black and white points to give a balanced exposure then look at the exposure compensation lightroom has applied. It`s as I say a quick and dirty test.

Thanks a lot @Bill Edwards , I will give a try. i really hope lens doesn’t have nothing to do with the noise. Can be the camera?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I agree to @Bill Edwards. The noise has nothing to do with your lens. ISO100 normally don't cause much noise so I'm wondering about it. The histogram is very important because you can easily get an overview of your exposure.

Just think about a scale from 0 (black) to 255 (white) in horizontal and 0% to 100% in vertical direction. Your camera measures each pixel individually and count them to show them in the histogram.

So e.g. 0/0% (no totally black areas), 5/20% (which means that 20% off all pixels are very dark), 10/25% and so on.

If the most part of the histogram is on the left side your picture seems to bee to dark or you try to take a picture with a black background.

You can also change your camera setting to see the histogramm for red/green/blue individually.

Reactions: Deleted member 250
Status
Not open for further replies.