Others Ottawa's Largest Conservation Area: Marlborough Forest

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
EXIF
Canon EOS M100 • EF-M28mm f/3.5 MACRO IS STM • ƒ/8.0 28.0 mm 1/320 100 Flash (off, did not fire)

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
A great place to search for rare flowers and a walk in the woods. Sphinx Ladies' Tresses Orchid (Spiranthes incurva) Marlborough Forest, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
IMG_7464.jpg

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
I prefere the 3rd ^^ I like the background and we can see a good clear flower
Need as much help and advice on my flower pictures. I should be taking better photos with no pesky mosquitoes to hamper my photography, don't want to be boring and scientific captures, need to spruce up my photography

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Greg Shchepanek Greg Shchepanek Those are beautiful flowers, the orchid looks like its made of snow or frost, very delicate and pretty :love:. I agree with Greg Greg the third photo has the more pleasing colours and perhaps light too.

I just photographed a white cherry blossom flower in my front yard, when I first shot it I was unhappy with the results, the surrounding shrubs and background did not create the contrast i wanted but I just reshot it using the sky as my background and that gave a much better result. I try to always look for colours that compliment each other whenever I can, apart from that my tips would be:

• Slow down your shutter, unless you have windy conditions you can soak up a lot more light to trade off for either less ISO and better dynamic range. Those sunbeams across these flowers are glorious if you allow the photo to soak them up and show in the photo more
  • watch for incorrect light metering results whenever you shoot white or black objects. Your camera's metering may be telling you these flowers are overeposed as they are white, this is something you have to take into account when you shoot and can correct manually or via exposure compensation
  • Depending how you do your editing you can also learn how to handle exposure in a particular area of a photo using things like radial and gradual filters in Lightroom, photoshop and other editing software. Once you can do this you get to choose how much light,contrast,shadow,highlight or any other of these settings you put in any part of the photo.
  • Last thing i may recommend is taking a look at similar photos you like and take special notice of the composition used, the angles, light, how they use techniques to highlight the subject, etc and see if you can find a composition style that may work better for you
I hope this helps, love seeing your local wildlife, keep shooting mate!

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Shchepanek