Want critique Pearl on petals...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Canon 20D, ISO 400, f/8, 1/350s, Natural light, hand held

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Great photo, nice colours and great light. Focus looks nice and sharp. My one reservation is the depth of field, it is adding nice bokeh to the photo but at the same time - I found it hard to work out what the waterdroplets were resting on and had to read the title to make sure. I would choose to either narrow down on the fstop for greater depth of field or crop into the focused water droplets on the left half more, if you got the ability for more magnification thats even better to keep your resolution. This is a minor thing and there is no wrong or right, mostly personal taste. I look forward to seeing more (y) :)

CA Madhu Ramaswamy

Feb 3, 2021
Great photo, nice colours and great light. Focus looks nice and sharp. My one reservation is the depth of field, it is adding nice bokeh to the photo but at the same time - I found it hard to work out what the waterdroplets were resting on and had to read the title to make sure. I would choose to either narrow down on the fstop for greater depth of field or crop into the focused water droplets on the left half more, if you got the ability for more magnification thats even better to keep your resolution. This is a minor thing and there is no wrong or right, mostly personal taste. I look forward to seeing more (y) :)
Agree, the DoF could have been better. This was taken years back when I was still learning the tricks of photography. For me at that time the background blurness was an amazing thing so most of my macro shots I started taking with aperture value of 2.8. Later when I started comparing other macro shots, realized that just blurness in the background is not all it takes to get the clarity out. I didn’t experiment the DoF while shooting this image. Also the flower on which these water droplets were was a very very tiny flower. To top it up it was hand held considering I did not have a tripod too. DoF certainly makes a huge difference. I will share some more of my work in this platform. Thanks for your observations.

Reactions: Chavezshutter