Your opinion? Peruvian torch defenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Mongrel

Nov 11, 2020
The Peruvian torch (Echinopsis peruviana, formerly Trichocereus peruvianus) is native to the high Andean mountain deserts of Perú. This tall and robust columnar cactus has been brewed in healing and visionary ceremonies perhaps longer than any other plant in Southern America. Archaeological dating shows that its relationship with mankind is at least 10,000 years old. But it's been less than a century since we can wear our chemist hats and point out that, right under its bluish skin, it's quite rich in psychoactive phenetylamines, principally mescaline.

When it grows, along the side ribs, these crowns of spines grow from each small brown eye of felt. For some reason, two cacti growing close together will seldom stab each other at all; they reserve it for careless gardeners.

02-Echinopsis_peruviana.jpg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Not bad Mongrel Mongrel . I would add a bit of light at the end of cactus pin to show how sharp it is. But the information is very useful. I know that is good to have a cactus near your PC as its absorbs radiation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Mongrel

Mongrel

Nov 11, 2020
Not bad Mongrel Mongrel . I would add a bit of light at the end of cactus pin to show how sharp it is.
Thank you, noted. This is one of the first snapshots I took after buying the lens, and I barely had experimented with depth of field. I'll try to repeat the photo with stronger diffuse light, one good thing about cacti is that they aren't going anywhere.

I know that is good to have a cactus near your PC as its absorbs radiation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I should correct you then, as far as I know :)

There's a bunch of reasons why having plants in your working space is a good idea, and that includes succulents, which are quite easy to maintain. But that particular idea that cacti are particularly good to absorb harmful computer radiation seems a bit bogus.

It seems to come from studies done by NASA that suggest succulents are particularly good at shielding radiation, yes. But these were studies done in space, where ionizing (high energy) harmful radiation abounds. And the reason why they are particularly good at it probably has to do with their density. Dense, water saturated tissues are more efficient at absorbing radiation than thin ones. And extrapolating that to your office makes little sense. First because computers do not really emit ionizing radiation; the highest frequency radiation you can detect from them is blue wavelengths in screen light, which can indeed get your eyes tired, but it's not harmful the way space radiation is. And second, because in order to shield yourself from a radiation source you'd need to place the protective element between the radiation source and yourself. A cactus in a nearby shelf, or on top of the computer screen, is not going to block EM radiation travelling from your PC to your body. It's not a EM radiation magnet.

Anyways, do place some plants in your office. Cacti if you like. They have positive effects in health and stress, improve oxigenation and humidity, help remove toxic volatile compounds and basically look nice and friendly. But to my knowledge, they are no magic anti-radiation magnets :)

• Love
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you, noted. This is one of the first snapshots I took after buying the lens, and I barely had experimented with depth of field. I'll try to repeat the photo with stronger diffuse light, one good thing about cacti is that they aren't going anywhere.

I should correct you then, as far as I know :)

There's a bunch of reasons why having plants in your working space is a good idea, and that includes succulents, which are quite easy to maintain. But that particular idea that cacti are particularly good to absorb harmful computer radiation seems a bit bogus.

It seems to come from studies done by NASA that suggest succulents are particularly good at shielding radiation, yes. But these were studies done in space, where ionizing (high energy) harmful radiation abounds. And the reason why they are particularly good at it probably has to do with their density. Dense, water saturated tissues are more efficient at absorbing radiation than thin ones. And extrapolating that to your office makes little sense. First because computers do not really emit ionizing radiation; the highest frequency radiation you can detect from them is blue wavelengths in screen light, which can indeed get your eyes tired, but it's not harmful the way space radiation is. And second, because in order to shield yourself from a radiation source you'd need to place the protective element between the radiation source and yourself. A cactus in a nearby shelf, or on top of the computer screen, is not going to block EM radiation travelling from your PC to your body. It's not a EM radiation magnet.

Anyways, do place some plants in your office. Cacti if you like. They have positive effects in health and stress, improve oxigenation and humidity, help remove toxic volatile compounds and basically look nice and friendly. But to my knowledge, they are no magic anti-radiation magnets :)

Thanks so much for this information. This is what I have been told, but never done any research myself to confirm what I heard. Luckily, you have described this more than enough to me and I would thanks for that. I really like your description for subjects.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for your picture and the story behind it. The picture looks good but there's some certain noise and Jack Jack mentioned already a possible improvement by increase the brightness a bit.