Want critique "Pollinis alchemia" Pollen alchemy - Sunflower UV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Laowa 100mm macro lens, ISO 250 , f/11, 4 second, UV flashlight, tripod

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

I made this image earlier this year. I posted it to instagram but forgot to post it here. I played with white balance for this edit. I was reminded of this photo today when I noticed the first sunflower of the year beginning to open, I have been patiently waiting for them to open as they are a favourite subject of mine šŸ˜Š. When they bloom their center section becomes full of pollen and I like using UV to light the pollen. Insects can see this glow and flowers use it to attract pollinators. All the yellow glowing dust in the photo is the pollen, all the blue specks are dust and lint that are on the flower, I decided to keep some of the blue as it contrasted well with the yellow glowing pollen and made it look a bit like stars or something like fairy dust. For a little twist I also used a tiny glass container full of orange/yellow fluorescent ink which I placed using clear tape and then photoshoped the tape out while adding a shadow to make the bottle look like its floating. Hope you like it... UV stars-Edit.jpg

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I love it. Great photo. Complete different way insects see the flowers then we do. If you think of it we humans are very limited in what we can see, smell and hear compared to other animal species.

• Love
Reactions: Chavezshutter