Your opinion? Red ant (Myrmica rubra)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Canon EOS 90D
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM
Raynox DCR-250
Single shots with Neewer NW680 and Pringles diffusor

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
This pictures are the first one which I made with my new Neewer flash and my new Pringles diffusor. It looks much easier as it is to get a good setup between SS, aperture and flash power, but I'm quite happy with the results.

The ants drove me crazy as the DOF with the Raynox lens is so small and I had less light for the autofocus. I sat there for about one hour trying to pick out an ant and take a picture. but the little monsters didn't stop for even one second. :mad:

Hope you like it... especially nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo. By the way... that are my first pictures of ants ever taken so far.

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (1).jpg
f/10, 1/250s, ISO400

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (2).jpg
f/10, 1/250s, ISO400

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (3).jpg
f/10, 1/250s, ISO400

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (4).jpg
f/13, 1/250s, ISO400

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (5).jpg
f/13, 1/250s, ISO400

Rote Gartenameise (Myrmica rubra) (6).jpg
f/13, 1/250s, ISO400

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hallo Helix_2648 Helix_2648 :),
Lovely photo sarja, that say story about the ants and thems work :love: .
Althoughts you lost a bit sharpness from the some of pictures, but no problem ;) As shooting ants need a lot of practic :D and some of lucky when they stop for a moment :D. but very good pictures!
Your description is great fot the sarja :D, ants have always lot of work to do,so they haven't time to be kind models for us :D . Lovely animals :) .
With the red ants need to be careful , when they can bite :D
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the ants and mention me on , it's very nice Jörg :)
I need to go to shoot some of ants after long time too.. :)
You found nice place for shooting ants, is it in forest ?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I sat there for about one hour trying to pick out an ant and take a picture. but the little monsters didn't stop for even one second

This made my day Helix_2648 Helix_2648 :D . That’s why I gave up shooting insects. They do make me mad, when I’m ready to click the button and they run.

Regarding pictures, they are great, and yes, there are a bit too much of Dof.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
...too much? Sometimes I think that I should have use an higher aperture like f/18. Do you think f/8 or lower would look better?

Reactions: Jack

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Jack Jack , never give up! as MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie say it beautyifully one day, that without hardness is not glory.. I think this hardness in shooting macros, epecially insects take this kind of photography so special :love: :love: .
It is so exciting to shoot insects, hard but not unpossible, just lot of practic and patience, and we have so lovely supporting here on the forum and great photographers with good experiences 🤩🥳 . If we can do it, you can too.. :LOL:. Waiting for your insect pictures so ;) 🤭:ROFLMAO:
And for more pictures of ants from Helix_2648 Helix_2648 🤩🤩🥳

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 4
May 9, 2020
Jack Jack insect aren't easy to shoot. During my first 4 years of photography I only shoot during the day when insects are the most active. And, yes, for sure it needs to be patient and they give me a lot of frustration. But when I was able to get a perfect shot, satisfaction is higher.
Don't be disappointed, you need to practice a lot, moving as slowly as possible not to disturb insects. And try an outgoing at the sunset hour you'll be amazed by how insects are quiet.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack insect aren't easy to shoot. During my first 4 years of photography I only shoot during the day when insects are the most active. And, yes, for sure it needs to be patient and they give me a lot of frustration. But when I was able to get a perfect shot, satisfaction is higher.
Don't be disappointed, you need to practice a lot, moving as slowly as possible not to disturb insects. And try an outgoing at the sunset hour you'll be amazed by how insects are quiet.

I was thinking to use a telephoto lens to shoot them from far away, but sadly you can't achieve real macro pictures with 150-600mm lens or 100-400. I tried with 70-300mm , and pointless