Shooting in low light

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
When comes to shoot in low light how you deal with situation ? Just increasing ISO ? or dropping shutter speed and using the camera in tripod ?

Solution
I tried to shoot during the evening time, and I think my m50 doesn't deal very well with low light environment. Even if I had set my aperture at f1.8, I still had to increase ISO above 1000, which did affected a lot my images. I must try this with my 7d m2, to test it.
Well 1000iso is a high value. In high iso you shoot with applied gain to the received information of the sensor. This means that the signal is amplified from the processor which results in inherited noise from this in camera processing. It is normal to have issues with noise at iso 1000.
Even with FF cameras happens but in a smaller scale due to larger pixel pitch in case you compare it with the same pixel resolution...

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I would definitely avoid an ISO value above 400. So I would try to use my tripod to get a shutter speed of at least 1/60s or faster.
Apart from that I would try to use my ambient light to give some more light to the subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I had issue shooting Tower Bridge during the night, I was using my m50 and 50mm f1.8 . I was trying to achieve lights of the bridge , but because was to dark I had to increase my iso above 1000. And the images was so horrible, and moved to automat mode. And I’m not sure how other are dealing in such of situations.

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
I personally avoid by any means to increase ISO even with my FF bodies that handle it great. I surely do not know the circumstances you tried to take the photo but I would recommend a tripod if possible and in case it is not windy to move your subject. I try to take macro / close up photos with my 'fast' lenses during daylight. But to tell you the truth I shoot only indoor low light subjects and always on a tripod. I haven't tried yet a close shot in low light outdoors....

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I personally avoid by any means to increase ISO even with my FF bodies that handle it great. I surely do not know the circumstances you tried to take the photo but I would recommend a tripod if possible and in case it is not windy to move your subject. I try to take macro / close up photos with my 'fast' lenses during daylight. But to tell you the truth I shoot only indoor low light subjects and always on a tripod. I haven't tried yet a close shot in low light outdoors....

I tried to shoot during the evening time, and I think my m50 doesn't deal very well with low light environment. Even if I had set my aperture at f1.8, I still had to increase ISO above 1000, which did affected a lot my images. I must try this with my 7d m2, to test it.

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
Well 1000iso is a high value. In high iso you shoot with applied gain to the received information of the sensor. This means that the signal is amplified from the processor which results in inherited noise from this in camera processing. It is normal to have issues with noise at iso 1000.
Even with FF cameras happens but in a smaller scale due to larger pixel pitch in case you compare it with the same pixel resolution between ff and crop sensor. It is somehow improved with BSI sensors. But shooting in native iso is the best way to go or at least with not very high iso values.
The 7d m2 will surely perform better in the same scenario.

Reactions: Jack
Solution

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Even with FF cameras happens but in a smaller scale due to larger pixel pitch in case you compare it with the same pixel resolution between ff and crop sensor. It is somehow improved with BSI sensors. But shooting in native iso is the best way to go or at least with not very high iso values.
The 7d m2 will surely perform better in the same scenario.

Thanks for your answer panos_adgr panos_adgr . I will try with my 7d m2 next time. Seems my m50 iis not that good when comes shooting in low light. Also, is that good to use flash shooting during the night? I have never tried to use it. I guess, depends a lot on what the subject is.

Reactions: panos_adgr
Status
Not open for further replies.