shooting very small insects

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Yesterday i did try getting a good sharp macro photo of a small spider. I did use a flash to get enough light and even used a tripod which i normally don't use.
I could not get a sharp photo of the spider. It was a very small spider, about 2mm. I know that the DOF is very narrow in macro and i usually don't go beyond f/11 on my full frame camera. I don't have a macro lens for the Nikon d7100.

I used the magnification and was sure that i had a good focus but none of the photos was sharp. i used 1/250 second shutterspeed with the flash. That should be good enough to freeze any movement.

How do you go ahead with very small insects? I don't have a problem with bees, wasps and generally any insect that is larger than 1 cm but do struggle with anything smaller than 0.5 cm

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Its tough sometimes Theo, I usually end up with a fair few shots that are out of focus and end up being deleted.
You can be just a couple of mm out when you press the shutter, either through slight body movement or wind or even slight camera shake, it just takes perseverance.
I don't usually use a tripod outdoors for macro, and I find that taking multiple images helps me a lot, and I find myself rocking backwards and forwards ever so slightly to try to ensure I get at least one shot is focused on the eyes or part of the insect I am aiming for.
Your setting should be ok though especially with flash also, but even the slightest wind can move the subject a tiny bit.
Try finding a small dead insect or object and practice inside the house if you can, then you have more time to ensure everything is set perfectly.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thanks for your answer Andy. rocking back and forwards does not work for me, i tend to loose balance when i do that. I usually don't use a tripod when shooting macro, i was at home in my garden when i tried shooting the spider, so no carrying a tripod around the entire walk.

i will try to use the burst mode and see if that gets me better results with smaller insects.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
sometimes when going handheld Theo, even your breathing rhythm can affect the focus point by moving the camera a tiny amount every time you breathe, so burst mode should compensate for this. I try to control my breathing and press the shutter when I am slowly breathing out.

Reactions: TMG1961
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…