"Split" - Top 20 in photo contest

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
So this is not a macro shot, but I wanted to share it because of the surprising story.

split.jpg

I have taken this photo on April 23rd this year, just 5 days after my camera was delivered and I started with the hobby of photography. A few days before I had spotted this tree and decided to shoot it. Earlier that day I was asked by my family to take some portraits of them in a rapeseed field on the other side of the village. So I did this at golden hour and as there was still some beautiful light left, decided to use the opportunity to shoot the tree.

I then edited it, archived the raw and didn't think much of it afterwards. Few months later I stumbled over the photo competitions hosted by Cewe and decided to enter some of the ones that were open at the time. I entered my favorite photos, but also went out and took some, explicitely for the competitions. Then I stumbled over a contest by Cewe hosted together with NABU (Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union) called "Naturstars" or nature's stars in english. They had 3 categories: Flowers, Bird and Trees and you could enter ten images divided over the 3 categories.

At this point I had collected a lot of images of birds that I was proud of and really liked and also a few flowers. I entered those and because I still had an entry left I decided to reedit my split tree with my improved editing skills and enter it. That was just an afterthought.

Today I got a letter:
win.censored.jpg

For everyone not speaking German: It's a letter of congratulations by Cewe, informing me that I have placed in the Top 20 in the competition, with exactly this afterthought image.

I checked the website:
Between 9th and 20th out of 10.648!!! entries.

I'm very surprised by this, but also very happy. Is there a lesson in this? I don't know, but I would say it shows that even without the best equipment, you can achieve great results. Also don't completely discount an image that you don't think is up to par. Other people might see it different.

Also here is the link to all contest winners.

Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Really love it Baenki Baenki . It's similar to yin-yang sign. And congratulations, and I do agree with you, no need to have the latest camera or lens to achieve such of great results. Sometimes is about to be on the right spot, taking from the right angle and using your imagination.

Reactions: Greg and Baenki

Mongrel

Nov 11, 2020
Congratulations, besides the quality of the image in itself it does tell a story about how two trees grow together. I specially like photography that conveys a process or reveals something of a deeper quality. And I'm sure the judges can also feel that.

Reactions: Baenki