Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Tamron 17-28mm f2.8, intervalometer, tripod, background (star trails) f/3.2, ISO 320, 16 seconds. foreground f/3.2, ISO 400, 10 seconds

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello :)

The Altona Foreshore Reserve is a protected wetlands area about 15km southwest of the city of Melbourne, in Victoria. I come here quite often as it has great city views as well as beautiful wetland native wildlife. The creeks and estuaries closer to my own home all feed down to these wetlands along what is called Skeleton Creek. This creek is where I have found many Maratus (peacock jumping spiders) and also where my brother takes many of his bird and wildlife photography.

Another photography style I like to do in these wetlands is astrophotography, in this shot I have put together about 500 shots which took about 4 hours of shooting to create the background star trails. I have done star trails in the past but this was my first time combining the technique with light painting. I used a torch to light the tree and the ground around it. The tree was light painted using about 18 photos, I used Sequator to create the star trails and then photoshop to combine the light painted foreground. This was one of the hardest edits and photoshop projects I have done so far, the star trail was pretty easy but where I may have been a bit too ambitious was in choosing a semi dead eucalyptus tree as my foreground, even a small amount of wind shook the leaves and branches and re-aligning these in the 18 shot composite was a nightmare. After months of editing and playing with it I am happy with it but its not perfect. If i had the choice again I would use something more steady like a piece of farm equipment or a building of some type, anything that wont move around with wind.

The gumtree eucalyptus I chose was half dead, I placed the live side of the tree over the spin point on purpose, thought it added a cool touch. Keeping light polution down in the scene was tricky considering the amount of light and proximity to a major city. Hope you like the photošŸ˜Š lawst.jpg

Here is what the star trail looks like without the light painted foreground..

longer.jpg

Last edited:

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
That's just amazing and mind blowing! How have you done this and how long do you need for such a picture?
If you want to try star trials I recommend Sequator or Starstax which are both free. Star trails are better for light polluted skies than regular star shots as you are minimizing the amount of stars you see in a shot, if you try to capture as many stars as possible as you would in a normal star shot you have too many stars spinning and it becomes messy when they start to spin. The minimum time you can use for a star trail I have found is at least one hour but ideally you want 4 or even 6 if the weather co-operates. You guys have it easier in the northern hemisphere with Polaris being the star you want to locate to find the spin point. Stelarium is a good place to find the point if you need help, I use Photopills which is a phone app for my astro planning. The light painting technique I learnt from an Aussie astro photographer, check out his channel on youtube - Nightscape Images, Richard Tatti is a great astro photographer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Shchepanek