Your opinion? Vintage Stamps - Germany 70s

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
DMC-G81
ISO200, F5.6, 1/60-1/40

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
So I rediscovered my uncle's old stamp collection which I inherited, maintained and expanded as a child. There are many complete and incomplete series from the 30s onwards. I have decided that I will digitize them and then probably upload them to a stock image site.

Here is a first testrun. An incomplete series of German stamps depicting third President of Germany (BundesprƤsident) Gustav Heinemann. Those were printed sometime between 1970 and 1973, which makes them around 50 years old.

5.jpg 10.jpg 20.jpg 25.jpg 30.jpg 40.jpg 50.jpg 60.jpg 70.jpg 100.jpg

To shoot them i used an inverse mounted tripod. The background is just a black t-shirt. To distance the stamps from it and blur it out I used the top of a clear plastic box for chocolates and iluminated them with 2 flashlights.

Setup:
125563464_325955778729132_5440921821276765960_n.jpg

I then imported them into Capture one for additional sharpening, unifying the lighting and adding saturation and contrast. When done I exported them as 16bit .tif to not lose quality. These tiffs I then imported into Affinity where aligned them around the right eye and removed some slight reflections and dust in the background. The uploaded images are slightly downscaled and hav minimally reduced quality. Otherwise the files would be too large.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jack and Karl

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Collecting stamps is an interesting hobby Baenki Baenki . I like to collect coins šŸ˜….

Regarding photos, they looks very catch, and I really like them, as they look very colourful.

You have done a lot of work during, it wasn't more easier to retouch and do everything within one software? Adobe maybe.

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
It's actually not that much work. I'm not a huge fan of Adobe, not because of quality but pricing model.

I started with Affinity for everything, but the raw processing was lacking. So C1 is my raw processor now, and it's top notch. Affinity is perfect for everything else that photoshop does. Think of it as something similar to a LR+PS combo.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
It's actually not that much work. I'm not a huge fan of Adobe, not because of quality but pricing model.

I started with Affinity for everything, but the raw processing was lacking. So C1 is my raw processor now, and it's top notch. Affinity is perfect for everything else that photoshop does. Think of it as something similar to a LR+PS combo.
I heard a lot about Adobe and its prices, and personally I was looking for alternatives too. So far, I found Luminar.

In terms of user friendly, how is Affinity?

You have still done great shots. Also, I guess you have cropped these images a bit.

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
From my experience Affinity is very user friendly. If you can do paint.net, you can do Affinity. It has far more tools you have to learn, but these tools are quite intuitive in my opinion.

The shots are not cropped a lot. I did them in portrait format and there they where filling almost the whole frame. The only thing I did was straighten them. Then layer them over each other on a bigger canvas with black Background for perfect alignment. Then crop them back to their original size.

The files here are just down scaled to about 90% of their size for upload purposes.

Last edited:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Good idea to digitalize the stamps. I've a lot of them which my grandpa collected for me.
Easy setup with very good results! A good pastime for the grey winter months....

Reactions: Baenki