Photography What is your favorite macro subject?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
There are many subjects that can be used as macro or close up photography models, whether you’re at home or out and about.

Each of us have a favorite subject that we wish we could photograph and make our heart feel contented .The details that we never imagined to see with naked eyes and the colours that we never noticed before.

So, i would like to know and maybe to inspire members here an idea. What's you favorite subject for macro photography and what is the reason? 😃

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
That's easy! SLIME MOLDS! I'm such a big fan of this tiny and delicate species. I'm again and again stunning of what quality other photographs archives and it's highest goal to get pictures like that the next years!

Reactions: lovitazoe

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi lovitazoe lovitazoe , goot topic to discuss. My favourite macro subject to take images are jewelleries :D . The reason is, I don't have to worry if there will be movements, like when you are doing insects, you always have to take in consideration that they might fly or run from you.

Reactions: lovitazoe

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
That's easy! SLIME MOLDS! I'm such a big fan of this tiny and delicate species. I'm again and again stunning of what quality other photographs archives and it's highest goal to get pictures like that the next years!
I know about slime molds only from this forum. I never knew it before before I joined here. Where usually you find them?
I am looking forward to see more of your slime molds pictures. 😃

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Hi lovitazoe lovitazoe , goot topic to discuss. My favourite macro subject to take images are jewelleries :D . The reason is, I don't have to worry if there will be movements, like when you are doing insects, you always have to take in consideration that they might fly or run from you.
Right. Insects can be difficult to photograph especially when handheld. Do you use a mini studio to photograph jewelleries?

Dalantech

Jun 13, 2021
Solitary bees due to their personality and their eyes.

It was sunny and warm enough this morning for the critters to get active, but it got cloudy and the temperature dropped so I went looking for something to photograph. I found a male European Blue Mason Bee semi-active on a Dandelion and decided to go for a high magnification portrait.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I positioned the subject close to a marble step so I could use it as a reflector for the flash to keep the background from being black.

View attachment 15531Blue Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Attachments

• 51123144156_2bf232a017_b.jpg
    51123144156_2bf232a017_b.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 3

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021

It was sunny and warm enough this morning for the critters to get active, but it got cloudy and the temperature dropped so I went looking for something to photograph. I found a male European Blue Mason Bee semi-active on a Dandelion and decided to go for a high magnification portrait.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I positioned the subject close to a marble step so I could use it as a reflector for the flash to keep the background from being black.

So cute and fluffy! I love their eyes too. Do you have any tips to share to photograph a bee?

Dalantech

Jun 13, 2021

Most of the small solitary bees need the heat of the sun to get their metabolism going, so it's easier to get close to them early in the morning. Sometimes I find them sleeping:

51242562560_3a5692a058_b.jpg Snoozing Resin Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

51239020718_afb2bd6d83_b.jpg Snoozing Long Horned Bees by John Kimbler, on Flickr

From time to time I get lucky and they seem to acclimate to me, so they don't fly away as soon as they wake up. If I keep my movements slow and nonthreatening they'll hang around for a little while.

51245329817_86c7f23000_b.jpg Long Horned Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

50159888551_90e369f10b_b.jpg Leaf Cutter Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

When it's windy the vibration caused by the breeze can mask the vibration that I cause when I grab onto the stem of the flower that a bee is foraging in. This one felt me grab the stem, and had climbed out of it away from me. But since I was holding on to the stem with my left index finger and thumb I simply rotated the critter back toward the camera -slowly. I'm usually resting the lens on my left hand to help keep the scene steady.

Sweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sometimes I manage to grab onto the stem without the bee knowing I'm there, so she goes about her business of collecting pollen:

46734556905_06dcd4f3a1_b.jpg Foraging Sweat Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I sometimes inject Agave syrup into a flower with a syringe to give a critter a reason to let me get close. Again I'm holding on to the stem of the flower, and in this shot the honeybee is actually standing on my fingers:

26739569324_32e8439a0e_b.jpg Feeding Honeybee VIII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sometimes they figure out that I have the sweet stuff and will come right to me:

51120866198_3276c006d1_b.jpg Feeding Common Carder Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

• Wow
Reactions: lovitazoe and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

wow, these pictures are just outstanding. How you managed to get them so sharp?

tlawrence

Jun 16, 2021
I can't really say I have a favorite subject, at least not yet. I enjoy shooting anything I find interesting...insects, flowers, food, water, common household items...anything. A couple examples....a clover flower and potato beetle.

clover-96dpi.jpg
potato-beetle-96dpi.jpg