Photography What is your favorite macro subject?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Dalantech

Jun 13, 2021
Solitary bees due to their personality and their eyes.

It was sunny and warm enough this morning for the critters to get active, but it got cloudy and the temperature dropped so I went looking for something to photograph. I found a male European Blue Mason Bee semi-active on a Dandelion and decided to go for a high magnification portrait.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I positioned the subject close to a marble step so I could use it as a reflector for the flash to keep the background from being black.

View attachment 15531Blue Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr
I'm usually holding on to whatever the critter is perched on with my left hand, and then I rest the lens on that same hand so both the subject and the camera are on the same "platform". Gives me a lot of control over the framing and where I want the area of acceptable focus to be. Any residual motion is frozen by the flash.

Reactions: lovitazoe

tlawrence

Jun 16, 2021

It was sunny and warm enough this morning for the critters to get active, but it got cloudy and the temperature dropped so I went looking for something to photograph. I found a male European Blue Mason Bee semi-active on a Dandelion and decided to go for a high magnification portrait.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I positioned the subject close to a marble step so I could use it as a reflector for the flash to keep the background from being black.

Love the sharpness and detail in these photos.

Reactions: Dalantech

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021

Wow thank you! amazing tips and pictures. I've never thinking about putting my camera on the same hand where I hold a subject and bring my own syrup to attract them.

Reactions: Dalantech

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I can't really say I have a favorite subject, at least not yet. I enjoy shooting anything I find interesting...insects, flowers, food, water, common household items...anything. A couple examples....a clover flower and potato beetle.

View attachment 13668
View attachment 13669
Love the pictures. Sharp.
Yes, maybe macro itself already make you happy by being able to freeze small details of something with your camera, which sometimes we don't notice with our own eyes. 😃
Do you have a favorite macro photo that you took since you practice macro?

Dalantech

Jun 13, 2021

The depth of field is so thin when shooting single frames that I had to come up with a way to keep a scene as steady as possible. It also allows me to chose where I want the area of acceptable focus to start, and then twist my wrist to lay it over the curve of the subject's face. The result is an image that looks like it has more depth than it actually does.

51233812679_64854cc225_b.jpg Snoozing Resin Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

• Love
Reactions: Helix_2648

Dalantech

Jun 13, 2021

I'm usually holding on to whatever the critter is perched on with my left hand, and then resting the lens on that same hand to help keep the scene steady.

Reactions: Jack