Any other ideas ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello everyone. Just quick question for everyone, is there any other wishes or ideas you’d like to see them implemented on our small site ?

G

Guest 1012

Posibility to upload larger files or autoresize them to an acceptable filesize.

Reactions: Jack
G

Guest 1012

I don't think it's working, at least not how I think it should be working.

How it works now is: you upload a file that's bigger than 5MB -> you get an error.
How it should work: you upload a file that's bigger than 5MB -> the file gets uploaded to the server in a temporary location. Some PHP call/function reads then the file from the temporary location, it detects that the file is bigger than 5MB and then via php-gd or php-imagick or whatever module is installed on the server, converts the file to the acceptable filesize set by the administrator. (something like this: http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/downsize/index.php). After that, the resized file is copied in the gallery folder of the forum and the original file larger file is deleted from the temporary location on the server.

For me at least it's hard to upload images here. I have to do the steps above manually: copying the file on another location on my PC because I don't want to alter the originals, opening it, resizing, saving, then uploading, when it should be the server who should do the work.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You made good point here. The way how I set the settings are like this. The max size for upload is 5mb, and when that photo is uploaded, our server is compressing and resizing the photo by the % set without loosing image quality.

Here is a photo as an example:

Screenshot 2020-12-27 153756.jpg

That this photo has been uploaded by you.

I really trying to maintain good server support and use resource efficiently.

Reactions: Guest 1012

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
@Guest 1012 , I've been admin on vBulletin too. And so far, I haven't found any advance features to resize images. In terms of how attachments are resized on our site. I'm really happy. But yes, thinking to increase that size limit.

G

Guest 1012

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the limit or against resizing images, it's just more simple for a machine to do this automatically instead of a human.

The forum should do something like this:

Is the uploaded image larger than 5MB? If yes -> resize it to 5MB. Is the resized image larger than 2000x2000 pixels? If yes, then resize it again.

Jack Jack I've been a moderator on vBulletin, and only on a section, so not many permissions were given to me, but I had admin on an phpBB forum and had a server with SMF on it and on SMF I remember we had a plugin that did what I said.

I really trying to maintain good server support and use resource efficiently.
Your server administrator would be proud of you :ROFLMAO:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Is the uploaded image larger than 5MB? If yes -> resize it to 5MB.

That's really good point, and agree with you that the soft has to do it. I might dig and see if I can achieve this. I know, some members here were saying the same.

Reactions: Guest 1012