Athens Open Art Festival / Art Number 23 London / Athens

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I know these sort of people who came across with such stupid comments without knowing about the possibilities of backlight or other special lighing situations. :cautious:

Reactions: panos_adgr

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
I know these sort of people who came across with such stupid comments without knowing about the possibilities of backlight or other special lighing situations. :cautious:
Yes Helix...

What disappoints me in photography is that man people that are in photography tend to care more about specs, gear debate and biased technical opinions on photography.
They ignore completely the story of photography, the art movements, the artists and how they created art benchmarks.
Freedom of speech (well respected) gives them the opportunity to express opinions, regardless of knowing facts, and understanding of individual expressionism in art.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Yes Helix...

What disappoints me in photography is that man people that are in photography tend to care more about specs, gear debate and biased technical opinions on photography.
They ignore completely the story of photography, the art movements, the artists and how they created art benchmarks.
Freedom of speech (well respected) gives them the opportunity to express opinions, regardless of knowing facts, and understanding of individual expressionism in art.

I believe that no matter how much money you will throw on equipment, but if you don't have passion, and willing to learn, and experience. You won't progress. Equipment is just a tool, the human behind the camera is the real magician.

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
I believe that no matter how much money you will throw on equipment, but if you don't have passion, and willing to learn, and experience. You won't progress. Equipment is just a tool, the human behind the camera is the real magician.
You are absolutely right!
That's the point. There is an part of people that are more interested or that pay attention more to the equipment and less to photography. They stick with specks and other tech things instead of investing that amount of time to photography in terms of art form study.
And I like to be sincere. It is ok and absolutely normal to be interested in gear and have your thoughts on gear but up to a logical point. I, personally, like to watch gear. I have also spent some money for camera and lens gear. But I'm at a point that I care more on the result nowadays and use the gear as a tool that gives me a good result in want I'm doing.
And as you said the gear is the medium. The tool. And the photographer is the creator.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You are absolutely right!
That's the point. There is an part of people that are more interested or that pay attention more to the equipment and less to photography. They stick with specks and other tech things instead of investing that amount of time to photography in terms of art form study.
And I like to be sincere. It is ok and absolutely normal to be interested in gear and have your thoughts on gear but up to a logical point. I, personally, like to watch gear. I have also spent some money for camera and lens gear. But I'm at a point that I care more on the result nowadays and use the gear as a tool that gives me a good result in want I'm doing.
And as you said the gear is the medium. The tool. And the photographer is the creator.

I saw a lot of debates where photographers argue with each other saying that other brand is better than other one, even on YouTube, you can find a lot of videos regarding that. I think, instead of creating such of debates or videos, it's better to show how to improve your skills ad photography with low entry cameras and low cost lenses.

Photography is an expensive hobby, and no one can afford to buy the latest lens or camera, or switching from a brand to an other one.

All what we can do, is to adapt and progress with what we got.

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
I saw a lot of debates where photographers argue with each other saying that other brand is better than other one, even on YouTube, you can find a lot of videos regarding that. I think, instead of creating such of debates or videos, it's better to show how to improve your skills ad photography with low entry cameras and low cost lenses.

Photography is an expensive hobby, and no one can afford to buy the latest lens or camera, or switching from a brand to an other one.

All what we can do, is to adapt and progress with what we got.
Exactly!
Another serious issue is that common people get biased easily. They are misguided to things of low importance instead of studying photography and techniques to improve their selves.
Most of the cameras today, will give great results to an average user. If somebody wants more or something more special with time and practise, he or she will realise what it is and will move to a more proper gear.

I never understood the mirrorless/dslr debate. There is no reason for debate. Each one buys what is more convenient in use and personal needs.
I never understood brand debates. The same applies here. Each one chooses what is best 'in hand' and result.
I never understood the reason of existence to videos such as '' I moved to XXXX brand for XXXXX reason''.
All these are very subjective. They are very personal and I can't share the same worries and preferences with them...

And I will go further.
I'm a Nikon user since I was a child. I've also had other cameras from other brands, BUT! i never took in account with what camera somebody took a nice photo. I enjoy watching, other peoples work, and I try to learn and practise my skills and techniques to improve myself. I could be doing it with any camera out there.

When I listen to somebody fighting over discussions for camera specs comes the million dollar question in my mind....
'Do you take any pictures?'

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
hand' and result.
I never understood the reason of existence to videos such as '' I moved to XXXX brand for XXXXX reason''.
All these are very subjective. They are very personal and I can't share the same worries and preferences with them...

The only reason why such of video does exist, because they get paid to sponsor.

I never understood the mirrorless/dslr debate. There is no reason for debate

They both have advantages and disadvantages, I have an DSRL and mirror less and I like them both.

When I listen to somebody fighting over discussions for camera specs comes the million dollar question in my mind....
'Do you take any pictures?

Some people should focus more on taking images and enjoying what they hit instead of arguing with each other about who's camera the best.