Your opinion? Difference between 1:1 and 4:1 magnification ratio

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
ISO 100, F/9, 1/200s
Olympus OM-D e-m10 mark iii, Laowa 50mm supermacro lens
Meike MK320 flash
Homemade curved diffuser

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks for this photo MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie , the topic shows the difference between macro and proxy. Both images are beautiful, however i still prefer the proxy, just because you can see the subject. Macro, shows only certain parts of the subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks for this photo MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie , the topic shows the difference between macro and proxy. Both images are beautiful, however i still prefer the proxy, just because you can see the subject. Macro, shows only certain parts of the subject.
I'm still sleeping šŸ˜. In the photo you can't really say how big is the flower. Let's say if that will be sunflower, then the first photo will be definitely proxy.

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 4
May 9, 2020
effectively without scale noone can say that it's a macro shot. This flower has a diameter of 3cm.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That's because you know the flower, but i would say if i don't know what flower it is, then i won't know it's sizes and I will take it as a proxy, unless has been taken from different angle. I think here is a lot of discussion.

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
lovely photos with wonderful colors.
if I may add something, for the 1st photo, I would crop it a bit more like almost a square format to make the flower stand out even more.
Other than that, gorgeous!

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
something doesn't make sense.

if the flower is 30mm in diameter, the empty space on the left is almost as wide as the part of the petals that is cut on the right and you used a MFT camera, then the image cannot be 1:1, it's closer to 1:2.

1:1 means an 18mm wide sensor can only fit 18mm of subject.

MinitecaPhotographie

Legend TEAM
3 4
May 9, 2020
According to me, like for every lens on the market, the reference is the FF sensor. Focal length is always done for a FF sensor while the lens is designed for an APS-C sensor. So why people are shocked when I give the effective magnification taking care of the crop factor which give the reference to FF sensor size. I can't understand... In fact you're right, the lens was adjusted on 1:2 magnification but, regarding only the result without taking care of the size sensor this photo is like (or near) Ć  1:1 magnification ratio on a FF sensor.