Your opinion? Early flukes - Australian Bronze Jumping Spider

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, 90mm FE Macro lens, ISO 2500, f/2.8, 1/250 sec, no flash, external LED ring light

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

This is one of my earlier succesful shot of a jumping spider. I believe I was trying to capture this with extension tubes at f/2.8 and probably using an auto focus mode, many missed shots but this one was pretty good. The ring LED flash is something I dont use on these spiders anymore as it makes for weird eye reflections, anyways, hope you like it

DSC02461-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hey Chavezshutter Chavezshutter, I really understand your problem. I've tried so often to take pictures from jumping spiders but mostly without success. But yesterday I found one on our window and I think I was lucky. Have to check it the next days but it looks already very good on my camera screen!

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 Cant wait to see it. It really takes a lot of practice to get these shots, specially with extension tubes, just lens isn't too bad but you really do need the extra magnification from the extension tubes as they are so small (about 4mm long). When doing this handheld image stabilisation helps but i also try to "cheat" by leaning on anything i can find, including using my own knees as a support. Focus mode like magnification window and focus peaking can help too., i use these in manual focus.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Oh good Chavezshutter Chavezshutter ! I never seen a jumping spider ... I hope I will get this chance one day :p ISO 2500 is too much, so picture have too much noise, did you tried with less ISO ?

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Greg Greg I hope you do get a chance, they are very cool photo subjects, very cute with big eyes. When i took this photo i was very inexperienced and it was a lucky shot, f/2.8 with extension tube and autofocus was all luck, zero skill :LOL:. ISO 2500 was to much thats correct. My settings now are a lot better but i like to post new and old photos, memories of first time getting a succesful ( and very lucky) shot. Thank you for your comments 🙏🙏🙏

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Chavezshutter Chavezshutter I know that, the first time on a new element lol. I hope you'll find another one and make better ^^ I know, if i find a jumping spider, my picture will be bad lol

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
That’s really lovely little spider Chavezshutter Chavezshutter , however ISO is way to high in my opinion, and there is a lot of noise on the photo, apart from that it’s really great shot .

Reactions: Greg