Photo Editing Editing your images

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The topic opened by member is to talk about photo editing and post processing techniques. Give the most appropriate help and advice.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
How everyone edits their photo. Do you edit each photo manually or you just do it automatically, which means that Lightroom will apply appropriate settings to the photo.

Personally i do edit each one individually, that's because i like to give them the colour and effects which i believe, they will fit better in my photo.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
How everyone edits their photo. Do you edit each photo manually or you just do it automatically, which means that Lightroom will apply appropriate settings to the photo.

Personally i do edit each one individually, that's because i like to give them the colour and effects which i believe, they will fit better in my photo.
Same just like you. I edit my photo one by one. There are some people I know, they have their own editing formula. Especially the ones who very active in Instagram. The goal is to create a harmonious tone in their feed.

Do you ever using another app except Lightroom to edit your photo?

Reactions: Jack

Vimes

Apr 15, 2021
Hi there!
I am not really experienced, but this is my workflow.
Usually I edit the photos individually. But: when I shoot a lot of images (soccer game of my son for example, 100 - 200 pictures) I often create a preset with typical corrections if I see that I do the same things in the first couple of edits. I then apply that preset before I start with the details.

Workflow:
1. RAW conversion of all the photos to DNG with an external tool, because Lightroom doesn‘t do a good job with Fujifilm files.
2. Make some good coffee, green tea or prepare some food, because conversion takes a while if I have many images.
3. Import all DNG files to Lightroom.
4. Go over all of the pictures and mark the bad ones. I try to mark as many as possible. That is pretty easy because I am pretty good at making bad photos.
5. Delete the bad ones from disk and Lightroom.
For editing the good photos I sometimes use Topaz Sharpen AI as an external tool to sharpen images. Because I am also very good at making blurry pictures.

The rest is Lightroom:
Crop, exposure, saturation, colors etc.
Sharpness and Noise have been taken care of with Topaz.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Same just like you. I edit my photo one by one. There are some people I know, they have their own editing formula. Especially the ones who very active in Instagram. The goal is to create a harmonious tone in their feed.

Unfortunately that's the issue with social media sites. Most photographers are focused on quantity, and they just bulk edit images in Lr which i don't really agree.

Yes, i been using Luminar as well, but sometimes I'm using Photoshop as well.

Reactions: lovitazoe

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Forgot to mention Topaz as well. Which is really great soft.

Reactions: lovitazoe

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi there!
Usually I edit the photos individually. But: when I shoot a lot of images (soccer game of my son for example, 100 - 200 pictures) I often create a preset with typical corrections if I see that I do the same things in the first couple of edits. I then apply that preset before I start with the details.

Workflow:
1. RAW conversion of all the photos to DNG with an external tool, because Lightroom doesn‘t do a good job with Fujifilm files.
2. Make some good coffee, green tea or prepare some food, because conversion takes a while if I have many images.
4. Go over all of the pictures and mark the bad ones. I try to mark as many as possible. That is pretty easy because I am pretty good at making bad photos.
For editing the good photos I sometimes use Topaz Sharpen AI as an external tool to sharpen images. Because I am also very good at making blurry pictures.

The rest is Lightroom:
Topaz really does good job when comes to remove noise from images. Have you tried Luminar?

Vimes

Apr 15, 2021
Hi there!

Workflow:

The rest is Lightroom:
Yes. 4.0 and AI. I think the auto/AI features are quite powerful.
But the software is pretty unstable, crashes sometimes and the integration with LR is not optimal. At least, that is my experience.
And: I am learning right now and the like to understand how to achieve a specific result. For me Luminar is more „Click here and see what happens and maybe you like it“

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi there!

Workflow:

The rest is Lightroom:

You right, unfortunately photography it's more and more focusing on editing through softwares. I do like Luminar as well, but i don't use it often. Most of the time i use Lightroom, just import all images and editing one by one. If i want to go further with the photo, then i do edit it with Luminar or Photoshop.

Vimes

Apr 15, 2021
For your interest: link to a video with a comprehensive tutorial for a 10 step lightroom workflow. I watched it and he really has a point.