Photo Editing Editing your images

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The topic opened by member is to talk about photo editing and post processing techniques. Give the most appropriate help and advice.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I've some settings which I use for most of my photos. e.g. Contrast, Highlight, Shadows, Sharpening, Lens corrections.

I import the CR3 files from Canon in LR, set the contrast to 20, the Highlights to -70, the Shadows to 90, the Sharpening amount to 100, the radius to 2 and the mask to 60. Lastly I set the lens correction.

After that I correct the Whites and Blacks manually. Therefor I go with the blacks as far to the left (-) as possible and use the same amount for the Whites but in +.

At least I check the Contrast, the Texture, Clarity and the Vibrance. Ah... and of course the Tone Curve!

If everything is fine I send the file to PS to complete it (incl. Topaz Studio).

So it's more or less an common preset with a fine tuning later on.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
For your interest: link to a video with a comprehensive tutorial for a 10 step lightroom workflow. I watched it and he really has a point.

There are a lot of ways to edit a photo in Lightroom, but comes to the photographer's choice which one works for him.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I've some settings which I use for most of my photos. e.g. Contrast, Highlight, Shadows, Sharpening, Lens corrections.

I import the CR3 files from Canon in LR, set the contrast to 20, the Highlights to -70, the Shadows to 90, the Sharpening amount to 100, the radius to 2 and the mask to 60. Lastly I set the lens correction.

After that I correct the Whites and Blacks manually. Therefor I go with the blacks as far to the left (-) as possible and use the same amount for the Whites but in +.

At least I check the Contrast, the Texture, Clarity and the Vibrance. Ah... and of course the Tone Curve!

If everything is fine I send the file to PS to complete it (incl. Topaz Studio).

That's interesting process Helix_2648 Helix_2648 . What you edit in Photoshop? If you don't mind me asking. Personally, i never finish my photo in PHOTOSHOP, unless i want to remove or fix something.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020

I add some micro contrasts and remove the noise with Topaz Studio, sharpen the picture a bit with LAB, use the Orten efffect (not always), play a bit with light/shadow masks and add a vignette.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

adding vignette you can add on Lightroom as well. Orten Effect? Is that within Photoshop or Lightroom?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020

It's a technique to get a more dreamy look and can be used only in PS. I know, that I can add a vignette in LR as well, but I prefer to do it with PS.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

is that a preset? 🤔

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020

No, it's a mix of different layer copies, gaussian blur and blending modes. you can find some good tutorials on YouTube.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Alright, I'll need to check that. 🤔. Thanks for this.