Want critique First attempt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Exposure Time: 2.5
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 100
Lens: Laowa 60mm Ultra Macro
I can't remember the F number.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
It's a good shot ! Maybe, more light on the water drop can be better

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Hi @Guest 1012! Well done for the first attempt! The reflection looks really good but I would increase the depth of field a bit and check the illumination of the wire and the water drop. The foreground (except of the reflection) is too dark. You can see no structure or colors from the wire. It's just nearly black.
All the same for me: Helix_2648 Helix_2648 said everything; but well done for your first attempt - it looks more than promising ;)

Reactions: Guest 1012

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi @Guest 1012, great effort on your first attempt! Refraction droplet shots can be tricky, I did some resource guides on the forum you may have seen. For the most part I believe you have the components but here are some of the things you may want to revise for your next attempt:

DOF - (depth of field), this is a massive macro subject all in itself, in a refraction shot the photographer has the choice to either include the refraction subject (your daisy in your case) in the background as part of your scene
or exclude the refraction subject and make the viewer only see the flower via the droplet, this method highlights the refraction and droplet better but also means you have to play closer and that means a smaller DOF. Focus stack or cropping your image are workarounds but they both carry their own complications and downsides. You may well be shooting this droplet at a distance where a single shot will not give you the sharpness you want througout the scene. You can try going up to f/16 to see if this gives you the result you need, higher than that and you get diffraction and lose sharpness.

Lighting - I see you hit the flower with light which is perfect but i will agree with what the others said - the foreground is bit too dark, I would allow a little light to spill unto the foreground from the same light you used for the flower, or some other light source but just like you've done here avoid direct, strong light on the drop itself to keep the refraction from fading with the light.

The last two thing i will mention is to bring the flower closer to the droplet or vice versa, which ever is easier and works for you, try to fill out the droplet with the flower and minimise that dark ring around the flower. Lastly play with the angles, i like to have the flower centered right behind the droplet myself but thats all personal taste. I recommend to setup, get my focus and then magnify into the droplet and play with the distances, compositions, lighting, etc

Feel free to ask me any questions, I hope some of these help youšŸ˜Š and i hope to see more.

Cheers,

• Wow
Reactions: Jack and Guest 1012

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'm not agree with you Jack Jack. According to me the best position for the droplet should have been on the upper third line and at the cross of left and upper lines as the drop is "looking" down (gravity is a fact...).

Thanks MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie . I need to try t shoot some droplets too. But everyone has its own eye to composition I believe.