Focusing Issue and not macro enough

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaswomanonthego

Jan 7, 2021
Hi so I am using a Nikon D3500 with a Nikkor 105mm micro lens. I've been trying to take close up photos of bugs but my camera is having a hard time focusing. Is this normal or do I need to been in manual mode? Also to get photos that are close to bugs can I take that with just my lens or do I need an attachment on top of my lens to get better macro photos?

Reactions: Jack
Solution
Hi so I am using a Nikon D3500 with a Nikkor 105mm micro lens. I've been trying to take close up photos of bugs but my camera is having a hard time focusing. Is this normal or do I need to been in manual mode? Also to get photos that are close to bugs can I take that with just my lens or do I need an attachment on top of my lens to get better macro photos?
Hi Creaswomanonthego Creaswomanonthego. I've been using a Nikon D3200 with 105mm and at the closest distance of focus you've got a 1:1 magnification thanks to the lens, but because your camera is an Apsc sensor, you need to consider the crop factor of the sensor to know the effective magnification ratio. So your...

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
No camera (that I know of) will reliably focus at 1:1, heck 1:2 or 1:4. It is best to manually focus. It takes practice but the best way to do this is manually set the focal distance on the lens. When starting out set the magnification to say 1:4. then practice photographing a static subject - like a flower. Be sure auto focus is off. Then physically move your body forward until the subject comes into focus and fire the shot. If you push to far into the focal plane, gently rock back and then rock forward towards the subject and try the shot again. The key is getting the timing of pressing the shutter when the subject comes into focus. When pressing the shutter button, gently depress it, don't mash it as it will throw your framing off. This method takes practice but is very effective in teaching you how to manually nail the focal plane you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.