Help with focus stacking!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astronut

Jan 2, 2021
Hi all, my first post. I'm very much a beginner with fairly simple kit. I can't afford much! I can't seem to get my stacked pictures to align fully. There are parts which are double. I use a cheap focus rail with as small increments as possible, or I just change the focus using the lens. Either way I still get the same alignment errors. You can see duplicated hairs in this photo.

I use a sturdy tripod. My kit is Canon EOS 60D, Sigma 105mm lens and Raynox 250 (in this photo). It's driving me mad and I can't seem to get it right. Any ideas?

Reactions: Greg and Jack
Solution
Hi Astronut
You really have to practice for focus stacking. If you see something double, there must have been movement, even if it is only half a millimeter or less. With which program do you stack the photos? You have to focus only with the rail or only with the lens, not at the same time. Don't know what program you are using for stacking, but Helicon Focus or Zerene Stacker work best. From a rail or tripod, you have to use image stabilization on the camera.
I am lucky that my camera does it itself.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR PHOTOS SUITABLE FOR FOCUS STACKING
With some cameras it is now possible to apply focus stacking from the camera. The camera then takes the various photos, so that you can stack them later via Photoshop, for example...

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hey A Astronut! I take a lot of pictures with the Canon EOS 90D by using the internal focus bracketing function. So no MacroRail or stuff like that.
I can only agree to my previous speakers regarding halos or ghost effects. Seems like the rail is too heavy for your gimal and sags a bit during your stack.

The spider looks great! So there's no reason for critism! Maybe the centre looks a bit too bright, but that's all.

Since I'm using mostly Helicon Docjs I cannot say anything about Affinty nor Zerene, but Photoshop works fine as long as you've a simple stack without huge overlapping items, but fails by rendering complex stacks. Jack Jack posts already my mushroom tutorial where you can check how I render a stack. Hopefully this will help you.

Reactions: Astronut and Jack

Astronut

Jan 2, 2021
Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.